Proud of myself

Options
Hi All,

Seemed to have cracked how to have a social life without breaking my budget!
Went out last night and went to two bars and a nightclub, yet managed to spend just £18!
My best friend and I now take it in turns to drive (her turn last night), so we pay no taxi costs and it is safer. I paced myself well so that while I was certainly merry, I wasn't stupidly drunk and therefore didn't do my usual of spending every penny I could and buying the whole place a drink. I also had a bottle of water halfway through the night - cheap and I have no hangover today!
This may sound daft, but I'm so pleased with myself. I had got to the point where I felt that I'd never manage to get the balance right and would have to stop going out to clubs etc cos of the money. But now I've proved to myself that it is possible not to blow the budget, I feel like life doesn't have to be all about sacrifice, just being careful for the next couple of years (well probably I will always need to be careful).
Hope all are well and had a good weekend so far xx
Quit smoking 18/08/07

Comments

• Ember999
    Ember999 Posts: 1,022 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi All,

Seemed to have cracked how to have a social life without breaking my budget!
    Went out last night and went to two bars and a nightclub, yet managed to spend just £18!
    My best friend and I now take it in turns to drive (her turn last night), so we pay no taxi costs and it is safer. I paced myself well so that while I was certainly merry, I wasn't stupidly drunk and therefore didn't do my usual of spending every penny I could and buying the whole place a drink. I also had a bottle of water halfway through the night - cheap and I have no hangover today!
    This may sound daft, but I'm so pleased with myself. I had got to the point where I felt that I'd never manage to get the balance right and would have to stop going out to clubs etc cos of the money. But now I've proved to myself that it is possible not to blow the budget, I feel like life doesn't have to be all about sacrifice, just being careful for the next couple of years (well probably I will always need to be careful).
    Hope all are well and had a good weekend so far xx

Geez....I remember when I used to go out in my late teens and me and my mate used to spend about £10 (our pocket money :D ) and have a great night doing the rounds in pubs and clubs in Blackpool :rotfl: I never had to pay to get into a club, nor buy drinks as being a 'cutie' I always had so many offers to buy them for me lol Those were the days! :p

As a married honey of 18 years when we do go out, I have to pay as I handle all the money..I still hate paying all that cash out for a good night out lol so nowaday's we enjoy going for walks, take-outs and other cheaper persuits. I am a meanie lol but as my husband would say, we are well off due to my handling money well, so we don't complain :T

As for paying taxis? Never entered my head back then.... :D If they didn't have a snazzy car they weren't chosen to give me a lift home! LOL how things have changed :eek: nowadays girls want to be 'independant' what's that word mean? It's never figured in my vocabulary...the age of chivalry isn't dead in my life :T
    ~What you send out comes back to thee thricefold!~
    ~
  • youngandreckless
    Options
    I am determind that one day I'll be well off too. I don't expect to be rich, but not having any debt will be liberating! I used to love it when guys bought me drinks, but all this moneysaving makes me wonder if they can afford it lol! Kind of ruins it when you're wondering whether you're adding to their money troubles!!!!!
    Quit smoking 18/08/07
  • Ember999
    Ember999 Posts: 1,022 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I am determind that one day I'll be well off too. I don't expect to be rich, but not having any debt will be liberating! I used to love it when guys bought me drinks, but all this moneysaving makes me wonder if they can afford it lol! Kind of ruins it when you're wondering whether you're adding to their money troubles!!!!!

Find a man who is careful with his money, careful but not mean and you will have a happy life, no debt and end up well off. A spendthrift guy or gal leads the other partner to ruin....seen it happen so often with other people.

The secret to being well off.....spend less than you earn, save at least 10% of your earnings and invest as soon as you can....plus, get a guy who isn't afraid of hard work...because it's funny but....The Harder You Work, the Luckier You become!

Good luck hon, I'm sure you will get there..... :T
    ~What you send out comes back to thee thricefold!~
    ~
  • youngandreckless
    Options
    Thanks, I'll be taking your advice on men, my last boyfriend spent it like water and I picked up even more bad habits....
    Quit smoking 18/08/07
  • Willsnarf1983
    Willsnarf1983 Posts: 1,928 Forumite
    Options

Now in the times of the power shifting from men to women and women requesting equal rights i have come to the conclusion that any women that want to buy me a pint at the fox and hound i will be there on friday....lol

:beer:

Will
    SShhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
  • James240
    James240 Posts: 16,387 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    hehehehe and ill be yates if any ladies want to buy me a drink lol
    Savings Total so far for 2023: £8,062.58
  • Willsnarf1983
    Options
    its a bout time they wine and dine us jim lol

Will
  • BWZN93
    BWZN93 Posts: 2,182 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    We still aint that equal yet fellas!! The day you start giving birth and when that 17% pay gap that STILL exists closes, is the day Ill be buying fellas pints!!

Until then, Ill have a glass of champagne please!

Jo xx
    #KiamaHouse
  • nearlyrich
    nearlyrich Posts: 13,698 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Hung up my suit!
    Options
    Ember999 wrote:
    Find a man who is careful with his money, careful but not mean and you will have a happy life, no debt and end up well off. A spendthrift guy or gal leads the other partner to ruin....seen it happen so often with other people.

The secret to being well off.....spend less than you earn, save at least 10% of your earnings and invest as soon as you can....plus, get a guy who isn't afraid of hard work...because it's funny but....The Harder You Work, the Luckier You become!

Good luck hon, I'm sure you will get there..... :T

I can't disagree with any of that, just to add something that has worked for me over the years:

Have a plan, know what you want to save for and make it a goal. When I was in debt, totally skint and spending every penny that came my way plus some, I made a five year plan to get out of debt, buy a new car and move into a house with enough room for my children to have a room each(boy and a girl were sharing a tiny room that just fitted bunk beds). I met my DH 2 years in, by year 4 of my plan we bought a house together and in year 6 I got my first new car paid for with cash. OK I know it slipped from 5 to 6 but I got there.

Good luck:D
    Free impartial debt advice from: National Debtline or Stepchange[/CENTER]
  • Willsnarf1983
    Options
    jw1096 wrote:
    We still aint that equal yet fellas!! The day you start giving birth and when that 17% pay gap that STILL exists closes, is the day Ill be buying fellas pints!!

Until then, Ill have a glass of champagne please!

Jo xx

this is counterbalalnced by divorce's and which parents have the kids and others so buy ur own champagne

;op

Will
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills