PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Best Way To Keep Tea Towels White?

Options
Hi All

Sorry to keep harrassing you all :p

My tea towels always seem to be marked-even just out washing machine. I always get good quality 100% towelling thicker ones(white with a strip of light colour thread), but never seem to wash up well. I normally put my whites on a 50-60c wash, as I dont like using the 90c because of the cost :o

Are there any other ways I can keep them gleaming white and not becoming stained and looking washed out? My mum used to soak hers (and our terry nappies) in something in a bucket before washing in the machine-anyone know :confused: Would bleach be any good? They do have a strip of colour in them, so would bleach dis-colour it? Also, I dont have alot of money-so cheap costs are a must :rolleyes:

I do seperate my washing into dark colours (40c), medium colours (40c), pale & whites (50-60c) bedding (50-60c). Am I washing my clothing correctly? Is there an easier way to seperate? All my other clothes/bedding seem to wash well, just my tea towels and some of the white items-maybe water is not hot eneough.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Penny-Pincher!!
xxx
To repeat what others have said, requires education, to challenge it,
requires brains!
FEB GC/DIESEL £200/4 WEEKS

Comments

• Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    My mum used to soak hers (and our terry nappies) in something in a bucket before washing in the machine-anyone know :confused:

My mum used to do this too....she used Napisan.

It's still available in either Tesco or Boots (sorry I can't remember which). I use it for white towels, before washing them on high temperature wash.

Pink
  • squiggles
    squiggles Posts: 1,635 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I always put about 3 teaspoons of biotex in my whites and lights wash as well as my usual powder/tablets.Biotex costs 99p ish and you can get it in most supermarkets and cheapy chemists,the box does about 15 washes im not sure though as ive never realy counted but i know you get quite a few.
  • RacyRed
    RacyRed Posts: 4,930 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Napisan is great for this. The supermarkets stock it.

Straight into washing machine, no need to soak unless stains are very heavy.

Vinegar rinse really finishes the job nicely.
    My first reply was witty and intellectual but I lost it so you got this one instead :D
    Proud to be a chic shopper
    :cool:
  • N9eav
    N9eav Posts: 4,742 Forumite
    Options
    Hi All

Are there any other ways I can keep them gleaming white and not becoming stained and looking washed out? xxx

Don't use them. Just keep them in the drawer. That's what my OH does. She buys these great fancy T-towels and then moans when I use them as they get dirty:rotfl:
    NO to pasty tax We won!!!! Just shows that people power works! Don't be apathetic to your cause!
  • larmy16
    larmy16 Posts: 4,324 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Superdrug do a cheap version of Biotex - it is £1.09 for a 500g box. I use it when making my washing powder in place of Borax which I cannnot get round my way. :idea:
    Grocery Challenge £139/240 until 31/01
    Taking part in Sealed Pot No.819/2011
    Only essentials on Ebay/Amazon

• anguk
    anguk Posts: 3,412 Forumite
    Options
    I'd forgotton all about Napisan, I used Boots own make when my kids were babies and in terry nappies. If it can get nappies white it should work for towels & tea towels.
    Dum Spiro Spero
  • Magentasue
    Magentasue Posts: 4,229 Forumite
    Options
    I do god knows how much washing in a week but only one load is whites. The whites load is tea towels, dishcloths, white towels and polo shirts. The whites wash is persil or ariel bio and, most importantly, done at 80degrees. This is supposed tobe good for your machine because the hot water dissolves all the scummy deposits that stick there at 60degrees or less. I was told this years ago by a washing machine engineer, don't know if it's still true for new machines - mine's quite elderly.
  • rizla01
    rizla01 Posts: 7,256 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Didn't there used to be something called 'Blue'?

I remember a circular paper bag with a twisted top that my Mum used to use.
    Mainly for nets I think but I'm not sure.

Anyone?

Being a bloke I have bleached many white items with colour stripes and it never seemed to fade them.

Riz

Addendum - Yep thought as much LOOK HERE
    "Unhappiness is not knowing what we want, and killing ourselves to get it."
    Post Count: 4,111 Thanked 3,111 Times in 1,111 Posts (Actual figures as they once were))
    Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.
  • RacyRed
    RacyRed Posts: 4,930 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Good one, Blue rings a bell.

rizla, the link isn't working?
    My first reply was witty and intellectual but I lost it so you got this one instead :D
    Proud to be a chic shopper
    :cool:
  • rizla01
    rizla01 Posts: 7,256 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    RacyRed wrote:
    Good one, Blue rings a bell.

rizla, the link isn't working?

try this.

http://www.mrsstewart.com/pages/purpose.htm

I think Mums was called a blue bag and it was probably by Rickets. ( Later Rickets & Coleman, I believe)

Anyway the above is an explanation of a similar product.

Better still look here

Hopefully that'll work.
    "Unhappiness is not knowing what we want, and killing ourselves to get it."
    Post Count: 4,111 Thanked 3,111 Times in 1,111 Posts (Actual figures as they once were))
    Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure