PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Help needed - I let a saucepan boil dry...

Options
13»

Comments

• Hootie12
    Options
    I Let some beetroot boil dry in a stainless steel pan, causing the inside of the pan to become blackened and apparently destined for the bin.

I placed a '3 in 1' dishwasher tablet inside the pan, placed the pan in the sink and filled the pan with boiling water. The pan was left overnight. The following morning what remained of the blackened deposits inside the pan came off with relative ease.:j
  • Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,621 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Hootie12 wrote: »
    I Let some beetroot boil dry in a stainless steel pan, causing the inside of the pan to become blackened and apparently destined for the bin.

I placed a '3 in 1' dishwasher tablet inside the pan, placed the pan in the sink and filled the pan with boiling water. The pan was left overnight. The following morning what remained of the blackened deposits inside the pan came off with relative ease.:j

Really helpful hint. Thank you. Must remember to try this one if I ever have a similar accident. The initiation reaction is always to scrub and scrub and this of course can completely ruin the surface of the pan. As a good stainless steel pan can last for years, sometimes putting with discolouring accidents is something one just just learns to live with.

Incidentally, as an alternative method, beetroot will boil beautifully in a large Pyrex bowl in the microwave and usually take less time.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure