pension advice

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning
1 reply 716 views
joolee_2joolee_2 Forumite
291 Posts
not sure where to start with this one so any advice would be great... im 38 yrs and have a government pension. my partner is dutch and is 44 - he moved over last june and is working as a chef in a local pub. he has no private pension and i have no idea what he will be entitled to when he reaches retirement age - whether its something from the uk or from holland or nothing! we have a baby on the way so not much spare cash floating about but i realise we should perhaps think about doing something. any ideas??
The quickest way for a parent to get a child's attention is to sit down and look comfortable. :eek:

Replies

• EdInvestorEdInvestor
    15.7K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi joolee,

I'd have thought he'd be better saving in an ISA at the moment, it's much more flexible. The pension rules are all changing next year, so later on if he has saved up a lump sum he can put it into a pension and pick up all the tax relief in one go, which you couldn't do before. But with a pension, he'll lose access to the capital and won't be able to take an income until he's 55 in 2010). Who knows where you might be living then? Better to keep your options open, I'd have thought.
    Trying to keep it simple...;)
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Students - apply for uni funding NOW

If you plan to get a place via 'clearing'

MSE News

A guide to council tax bands

Lower your band & save £1,000s

MSE Guides