Cheap eye drops and ointment?

Options
I have corneal abrasions and have been told to use 'Simple Eye Ointment' at night and 'Hypromellose' Eye drops

The ointment was almost a fiver last time I got some. As it says dispose of after a few weeks, this is expensive. Does anyone know of a cheap source. I dont mind buying a few if it keeps unopened

Comments

• littlereddevil
    littlereddevil Posts: 4,752 Forumite
    Options
    I have the same problem and have never been able to find a cheaper source but mine only lasts a month anyway so there is no waste
    travelover
  • Nile
    Nile Posts: 14,930 Ambassador
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    lipidicman wrote:
    I have corneal abrasions and have been told to use 'Simple Eye Ointment' at night and 'Hypromellose' Eye drops

The ointment was almost a fiver last time I got some. As it says dispose of after a few weeks, this is expensive. Does anyone know of a cheap source. I dont mind buying a few if it keeps unopened

I would suggest that you shop around and check prices in your local chemist and the chains like Boots and Superdrug.

I've found Boots own brand to be cheaper than some branded medicine equivalents. For example, their travel sickness tablets are cheaper......their 'Hayfever Relief' eye drops are cheaper than 'Opticrom'. Be aware that the bottle/tube contents are often bigger too......so you save even more money.;)
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the 'I wanna' and 'In my home' and Health & Beauty'' boards.If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.10 Dec 2007 - Led Zeppelin - I was there. :j :cool2: I wear my 50 (gold/red/white) blood donations pin badge with pride. Give blood, save a life.
  • lipidicman
    lipidicman Posts: 2,598 Forumite
    Options
    Great. However the problem with a bigger bottle is that you end up throwing it away if you stick to the advice to 'dispose of after 28 days'!

I want a cheaper smaller bottle!
  • Bossyboots
    Bossyboots Posts: 6,746 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    lipidicman wrote:
    Great. However the problem with a bigger bottle is that you end up throwing it away if you stick to the advice to 'dispose of after 28 days'!

I want a cheaper smaller bottle!

Last year our dog needed nose drops. The ones he had were actually a human medicine, not veterinary. That said on the bottle to dispose of after 28 days. We checked this with the vet and his response was that in the lab cultures can grow at 28 days. That is why they use that as a yard stick. He told us not to worry and empty the bottle. We got 8 weeks worth of drops out out of each bottle.
  • katiepops_2
    katiepops_2 Posts: 359 Forumite
    Options
    Why can't you get it on prescription? If you get a prescription season ticket it should more than cover the cost over a few months.

In any case, almost a fiver for a couple of weeks worth of drops is not expensive. You absolutely cannot take any chances with your eyes, believe me. Make sure you take it as prescribed - corneal abrasions can turn very nasty.

Kate
  • hrafndot
    hrafndot Posts: 2,155 Forumite
    Options
    katiepops wrote:
    Why can't you get it on prescription? If you get a prescription season ticket it should more than cover the cost over a few months.

In any case, almost a fiver for a couple of weeks worth of drops is not expensive. You absolutely cannot take any chances with your eyes, believe me. Make sure you take it as prescribed - corneal abrasions can turn very nasty.

Kate

I absolutely agree. I have had an abrasion and its exquisitely painful and takes a long time to heal. Scar tissue on the abrasion can stick to your eyelid overnight so a lubricating eyedrop is essential to stop this happening. If it does, its not the end of the world but it slows things up.

Eye hygeine is also very important, keep the lashes clean and get rid of any gunk that might be accumulating in them. (Bicarb and v. mild baby shampoo have been recommended to me by the eye hospital) LOL & best wishes - get the season ticket, its worth it.
  • lipidicman
    Options
    The abrasions are just an ongoing thing from a piece of a ceiling tile that got into my eye and stuck to my top eyelid scratching my eye. The eye is scratchy almost every day, but the doctor said just use ointment and hypromellose 'as and when'. It is cheaper to buy, but I dont know anything about a seasion ticket prescription. The doc told me to buy as it is cheaper than prescription. I never get 'pain' from it - but scratchy eyes all the time is very annoying. The contrast with my nice smooth left eye is a reminder of how it used to be! I havent used drops for about 6 months but I think the overnight ointment may help my 'morning eye' and maybe settle it down for a while.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,024 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Just because the stuff is cheaper OFF prescription does not mean that the GP cannot or will not prescribe it if you ask him to. If it keeps OK before opening then you could ask him for several bottles on one script, there is only one charge per item regardless of quantity. Worth explaining to him how frequently you are buying and ask if he will prescribe several.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • lipidicman
    Options
    Maybe. However, I dont really need to see the eye doctor right now. I would feel guilty wasting his time.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,024 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    lipidicman wrote:
    Maybe. However, I dont really need to see the eye doctor right now. I would feel guilty wasting his time.
    Well go and see your own GP then. At the hospital last Friday I was given choice of having a script written on the spot for collection from their pharmacy, or going to see GP to get script. And DH has had scripts requested by dermatology nurse which she faxes to GP.

Or you could even try just writing a letter to GP asking for a script you can then pick up. Ask him to phone if he wants to see you first. Very little professional time wasted there.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport