My teeth!

Because the subject matter doesn't seem to fit anywhere, please mods, allow this to be duplicated. It wasn't being seen elsewhere.

My dentist suggested I had a small upper plate with 4/5 teeth because the teeth at the bottom had nothing to bite on. All other teeth remain. I agreed.

For the last few weeks, I've been back and forth and today they were ready. Clearly they required attention, ie filing down etc., but even so, each time they were introduced to my mouth and removed, I wanted to be sick, plus the wire pulled and was a pain. The roof of the plate caused my skin to break.

After 6/7 attempts, the teeth would not fit snugly, hurt, and my upper teeth would not touch the lower set. I tried to speak but this created a feeling that I would vomit.

After ages, I said that I wished I'd never agreed to them and unless they could be introduced without pain, discomfort or no nausea, I would not take them. I would pay for her service and that's all.

She said I might as well take them. I said there wouldn't be any point. I requested to leave, but I had to pay.

At reception I said I would be writing to reclaim partial refund.

The thing is, I've had major back surgery, major abdominal surgery, heart attack, angina but nothing compares to that experience at the dentists.

Does anyone have anything to offer by way of hope for any kind of refund and if so, how would you suggest correspondence should be worded. They were on the Nat. Health .

Comments

• tanith
    tanith Posts: 8,091 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    What a shame your new teeth were so problamatic. It does take a while to get used to having new false teeth introduced and maybe it would of been better if you had at least tried them out at home for a few days before rejecting them completely.. not trying to minimise your discomfort but I remember when I first had a plate and thought I would never ever be able to tolerate it but after several adjustments and my mouth adapting to having a foreign object in my mouth they actually worked out ok... My mouth was sore with broken skin to begin with and as you say I kept gagging but I did get used to them eventually... that said I did go as a private patient for my second set and found they took more time and care over the construction and they did fit much better more quickly . I guess NHS teeth may always be inferior... still its a shame that you now are struggling without proper teeth...
    #6 of the SKI-ers Club :j

"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing" Edmund Burke
  • Toothsmith
    Toothsmith Posts: 10,074 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    I think you've given up a bit too quickly.

It sounds like this was the proper treatment for you, and it alo sounds like the dentist spent a good bit of time on them for you.

When you've been so used to nothing in the gaps, then having something put in will feel really wierd, and cause a reaction with your tongue, cheeks and everything.

Once they're made, it's your turn to do some work!

They are far from easy to get used to, but once you are used to them, your chewing will improve greatly, and it will have a positive benefit on the rest of your teeth.

It could be that with your other problems, your tolerance levels for medical stuff is rock bottom at the moment, but that's not the dentist's fault.

Whilst you're in the chair, 100% of your thoughts and attention are on this new alien bit of plastic and metal that's been stuck in your mouth. It will feel at it's most wierd in that situation.

Once you get out, back into your normal life, driving away, walking down the street, meeting people, doing jobs, then your thoughts are distracted, and you'll find you hardly think about it.

It will be tricky to eat with to start with, but again, starting with easy stuff, and slowing down, and persevering, you'l get there.

So - as I said at the start, I think you've been a bit quick to give up here. Look at some kids and the huge constructions of plastic and metal that they wear as braces! Some of those things are 10 times more uncomfortable than a denture, but they get on with it, and get used to it.

I think askng for a refund is unfair. Care seems to have been taken with their construction, the dentist will have the technician to pay, and he himself has used considerable time in trying to make them tolerable to you.

He didn't know at the start of the process that you weren't prepared to spend any time or effort in getting used to them.
    How to find a dentist.
    1. Get recommendations from friends/family/neighbours/etc.
    2. Once you have a short-list, VISIT the practices - dont just phone. Go on the pretext of getting a Practice Leaflet.
    3. Assess the helpfulness of the staff and the level of the facilities.
    4. Only book initial appointment when you find a place you are happy with.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure