Here Goes Nothing

Options
HOPE I'M DOING THIS RIGHT!
I'D LOVE TO JOIN YOU ALL IN THE CRUSADE TO BE MORTGAGE FREE!
I'VE ALREADY STARTED WITH MARTIN'S TIPS AND HAVE RECENTLY PURCHASED A GREEN MORTGAGE PIG :eek:
I HAVE 141000.00 LEFT TO SHELL OUT, BUT AT 30 WITH TWO KIDS UNDER 3 YEARS OLD THERES A LONG WAY TO GO !
I WANT TO SET OF TARGET AT 3000.00 OVERPAY PER YER AND IF I DO THIS IT WILL BE FANTASTIC.
I HAVE READ MOST OF THE POSTS ON HERE AND THINK THEY ARE BRILLIANT.
IF ANYONE HAS ANY KIND WORDS FOR ME I WOULD LOVE TO HEAR THEM, ALSO ANY IDEAS TO GET TO MY TARGET! PERHAPS OTHER PEOPLE HAVE ALSO STARTED OFF FINDING IT HARD - I KNOW I WILL FIND IT HARD AT FIRST NOT TO JUST SPEND THE CASH - SO IF ANY1 CAN HELP WITH THAT ?

Comments

• Little_Mama
    Options
    Good luck with your 'quest', Down with the Mortgage.

Gosh, where to begin with the advice? Best thing to do is to have a look at some of the diaries or the sticky at the top for Mortgage Free in 3, there's lots of advice on there.

We can only overpay once we've reached a minimum amount but the minute we hit it we send a cheque off.

Just remember, no matter what amount you overpay it's still chipping away at it, so don't beat yourself up if you don't make your target.....these small people can cost a lot of money! If you do hit the target then good on you.

Also it might be worth a wander to the Debt Free Wanabee board as they've got some great ideas on there and some good challenges too for raising extra funds/having no spend days etc.

Best wishes
    LM :)
    :jMFWin3T2 No 20 - aim £94.9K to £65K:j

• setmefree2
    setmefree2 Posts: 9,072 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    I wish you good luck!:money:

1)Before you start though have you got some rainy day savings? If not have you thought about an offset mortgage?

2) Have you started a spending diary? Once you've established where your money goes then you can try to spend less in those areas.

3)Could you make big savings? Say get rid of a car?

4)Can you get your Insurance, utilities, TV, phone Packages cheaper?

5) Have you got stuff you can flog on e bay or at car boot sales?

6)Check all your SOs and DDs.

7) Have you got energy saving light bulbs

I've plenty more......:rotfl:but as said Debt free wannabe board, old style board, etc all good for ideas and there is always Martin's book

Good Luck

SMF2
  • Little_Mama
    Options
    Is your local Tesco doing an Easter car boot? As they have to shut on Easter Sunday they often use their car park for a big boot sale that day and get lots of buyers. ;)
    :jMFWin3T2 No 20 - aim £94.9K to £65K:j

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport