are job "perks" taxable?

Options
other than company cars, what job perks are taxable? and how?

private healthcare?
accomodation?
Food?

I know you can get a portion of your wage paid tax free in childcare vouchers.

Eg if a hotel couldnt afford to pay a Manager 30k, could they pay them 20k + accomodation? How would this be taxed? I know for a hotel room its something like a maximum of £30 a week can be deducted, but what about a staff house?

sorry for such a vauge question!

Comments

• Little_Chicken
    Options
    private healthcare is. Accomodation and food shouldn't be as the company should claim VAT against it.
    :grin: Save me from spending...
    Sealed Pot Challenge 2008 - £1004:T 2009 - £1139 2010 - £1260 :j 2011 - £1557 2012 - £740 :beer: No 195 Target £1k
  • mikewebs
    mikewebs Posts: 538 Forumite
    Options
    Accommodation can only be tax exempt if it is an essential part of your job that you live in a specific place - eg clergy in a vicarage etc
    :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:
  • mr_fishbulb
    mr_fishbulb Posts: 5,224 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
  • fengirl_2
    fengirl_2 Posts: 4,530 Forumite
    Options
    With reference to the hotel manager, if it could be shown that s/he was required to live on the premises for security reasons, or if it was traditional to live on site, then there would be no benefit in kind. If this did not apply, then a nominal cost of the room would need to be agreed between the employer and HMRC. If it was a separate house, the benefit in kind is based on the RV, plus any running costs paid by the employer.
    Such benefits are taxed through the PAYE system by a restriction being put in the employee's code number to collect the tax on a weekly/monthly basis.
    Provision of food is exempt from tax if food is provided to all employees equally - it has nothing to do with VAT.
    £705,000 raised by client groups in the past 18 mths :beer:
  • dobbie82
    Options
    thanks for all your helpful replies, my friend would rather find a job paying straight cash really, but if its a struggling hotel with lots of empty rooms its not gonna hurt them to provide accomodation, (the owner lives on site so maybe that confuses matters?) but they wouldnt want to be paid like that forever!

But its good to see whats worth negotiating for.
  • dobbie82
    Options
    "would rather find a job paying straight cash really"

p.s. i dont mean cash in hand, i mean a set wage as opposed to wage + perk + bonus
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure