PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

what's your Old Style blind spot?

Options
I like Old Style thinking, it suits me to be careful with money and use things wisely, I can cook, I bake, I grow things, I sew from time to time, I love making something out of seemingly nothing.....

The BIG downfall is I always forget to look at sell-by labels, I buy things at the supermarket to use 3 or 4 days hence and when I go to use them I see that the sell by date was the day after I bought it....why why why do I keep doing this? I probably throw away one un-opened piece of something every week and we eat a few others that the date has expired on .....is it just me that has this blindspot? make me feel better by telling me your OS blindspot, we can console each other :wall:

Comments

• Ticklemouse
    Ticklemouse Posts: 5,030 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I'm a bit like that too, a-t. However, my downfall is fresh fruit and veg. I bought a 6ft larder fridge so that I could actually see what was in it, rather than cramming everything together. However, I find that this means I now have at least 4 shelves/drawers full of the stuff. Whilst this is very healthy, it's sometimes a sturggle to eat it all and I often resort to juicing or making soups to use up stuff that's seen better days. I suppose it would be OK if I only got to go shopping once a week or longer, but I can go when I want. I go to the market, see punnets of lovely strawbs, and buy them, knowing I have a least 1 in the fridge. Why can't I wait until I have finished or at least, nearly finished what I have before I buy more.

And don't get me talking about what is in my store cupboard. We won't starve, that's for certain :D It's deffo inherited. I used to laugh about what my mum had in, just in case, and I'm as bad now :o
  • apprentice_tycoon
    Options
    Hi TM, nice avatar!
    Now you mention fruit and veg - I have a salad box at the bottom of the fridge that has 2 stumps of cucumber in amongs all the other stuff, I need a slap!
  • Ticklemouse
    Ticklemouse Posts: 5,030 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Avatar - only one I could get that I sorta liked and didn't have to resize. Couldn't get on with all that resizing malarky - even tho' it's meant to be easy :)

Cucumber - that reminds me, I have some celery that I was going to make into soup.
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Avatar - only one I could get that I sorta liked and didn't have to resize. Couldn't get on with all that resizing malarky - even tho' it's meant to be easy :)
    If you see one you really like just point me at it and I'll resize it for you :)
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • MATH
    MATH Posts: 2,941 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    My blind spot is washed new potatoes. I just cannot bring myself to buy the cheaper earth covered ones cos of all the scrubbing to get them clean enough to cook and the a full clean of the sink as well.
    Life's a beach! Take your shoes off and feel the sand between your toes.
  • BWZN93
    BWZN93 Posts: 2,182 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Buying flour. I think ive gone mad recently. I currently have about 5 different types, wholegrain, extra strong bread, strong bread, self raising, and plain, and I have two of some of the bags.

And pasta. I like home making it, but as a remnant of student days, I still have about 6 different types in the cupboard.

Ill be collecting potatoes next....

Jo xx
    #KiamaHouse
  • SnowyOwl_2
    SnowyOwl_2 Posts: 5,257 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I have a collection of different types of sugar...normal granulated, icing, soft brown, dark brown, white caster, v.light brown kinda beige caster... These are for my homemade cakes as I still stick rigidly to the recipe - and end up buying a new bag rather than having a go with something similar that I already possess...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure