confused over debt

Options
Hi I am currently dealing with payplan for some of my debt, my husband was made redundant last year and he also has debt, mine is not clear to him, he has credit card debt of £15-20000 these have not yet gone to a collection agency, could we still negotiate a settlement with the credit card company? one of the debts is with our bank who know all our finacial dealings, I also have a bank loan with this bank which is unknown to anyone...would they take that into consideration,

Comments

• Turning_into_scrooge
    Options
    miller4 wrote:
    Hi I am currently dealing with payplan for some of my debt, my husband was made redundant last year and he also has debt, mine is not clear to him, he has credit card debt of £15-20000 these have not yet gone to a collection agency, could we still negotiate a settlement with the credit card company? one of the debts is with our bank who know all our finacial dealings, I also have a bank loan with this bank which is unknown to anyone...would they take that into consideration,

If you have loans with the bank that you have any wages or other money paid into, this goes for savings accounts too, i would seriously suggest that you close the account down and open another at a different bank otherwise if you got into difficullty with a monthly payment and fell behind the bank can debit their money out of your account before all your normal DD leaving you with horrendous bank charges and bounced payments. I'm not sure about being able to offer a full and final settlement if the amount hasn't gone to collection, most wont take it unless it has but do talk to payplan or have a look at https://www.nationaldebtline.co.uk theres loads of info on this site that you will be able to have a look at and use too even though you are with payplan.
  • delboypass
    delboypass Posts: 229 Forumite
    Options
    can you post a little more info like total debts owed by you and partner, total incomings and outgoings.

Agree with scrooge that you should have your wages going into an account where the bank can help itself to pay off the loan.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure