Link Financial Ltd/Abbey

Options
Have received a letter from Link Financial claiming that I owe £1000 on a credit card from Abbey. Problem is (hopefully theirs) that, to the best of my memory, I've never taken out a credit card with Abbey!

Ignored the letter thinking it was a joke but have now started to receive some regular and pretty obnoxious voicemails from Link. Latest one this evening, a colleague took a message and asked if I knew the caller (Mr Fayez) - he said yes. Needless to say I don't know this person.

Any advice on how I can get this bunch to provide some evidence or rationale for a debt I know nothing about? Thanks

Comments

• fermi
    fermi Posts: 40,546 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    With a bit of luck sra (the Board Guide for this board) will move this thread to a forum where you will get more help regarding this. Perhaps "Debt-Free Wannabe"?

In the meantime, National Debtline have a template letter demanding that the lender or debt collector prove that you owe the debt; and if they can't then it requires them to cease contact as their actions would then constitute harassment.

This is the template:
    Amend Green text (and any other) to suit your circumstances.

1 High Street,
    Newtown,
    Kent
    R21 4RH
    October 9, 2007

The Loan Company
    Company House,
    Church Street,
    Newtown,
    Kent,
    R1 7HG

Dear Sir/Madam

Ref: xxxxxxxxxxx

You have contacted us regarding the account with the above reference number, which you claim is owed by ourselves.

We would point out that we have no knowledge of any such debt being owed to The Loan Company.

We are familiar with the ‘Office of Fair Trading Debt Collection Guidance’ which states that it is unfair to send demands for payment to an individual when it is uncertain that they are the debtor in question.

We would also point out that the OFT say under the Guidance that it is unfair to pursue third parties for payment when they are not liable. In not ceasing collection activity whilst investigating a reasonably queried or disputed debt you are using deceptive/and or unfair methods.

Furthermore, ignoring and/or disregarding claims that debts have been settled or are disputed and continuing to make unjustified demands for payment amounts to physical/psychological harassment.

We would ask that no further contact be made concerning the above accounts unless you can provide evidence as to our liability for the debt in question.

We await your written confirmation that this matter is now closed. Otherwise we will have no option but to make a complaint to the trading standards department and consider informing the OFT of your actions.

We look forward to your reply.

Yours faithfully

Mr A N Other
    Hope that helps.

If in doubt, give National Debtline - Tel: 0808 808 4000 a call.

Or contact any other the other free advice services listed here: Non-profit Debt Counsellors' List.
    Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

IVA & fee charging DMP companies: Profits from misery, motivated ONLY by greed
  • sra
    sra Posts: 4,678 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    MOVING THREADS FOR BETTER RESPONSES

Hi, Martin’s asked me to post this in these circumstances: I’ve asked Board Guides to move threads if they’ll receive a better response elsewhere(please see this rule) so this post/thread has been moved to another board, where it should get more replies. If you have any questions about this policy please email [EMAIL="abuse@moneysavingexpert.com"]abuse@moneysavingexpert.com[/EMAIL].
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure