How do you change doctors?

Options
I'm now quite a way from my current practice, having moved since I joined, and I really don't get on with the head of the practice. Can anyone advise how I transfer to a GP closer to me?

Comments

• PORTER790
    Options
    Sola wrote: »
    I'm now quite a way from my current practice, having moved since I joined, and I really don't get on with the head of the practice. Can anyone advise how I transfer to a GP closer to me?
    quite easily really,go into the new surgery you wish to register say you want to register here and they will give you a health questionaire and a nhs form to fill out.when they are complete return them back to the new sugery and all your files and medical records will be transfered from your old surgery to your new surgery.can take a few weeks for your records to be transfered,i had to register at a new surgery last week.
    opinions are like **seholes,everybody has got one and they all stink!

proud father of of identical twin boys born on 18/06/08 at 11.59am and 12.01,weighing in at 4lb 11 and 4lb 15:j
  • Sola
    Sola Posts: 1,681 Forumite
    Options
    Excellent - many thanks.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,061 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If for some reason the practice you go to can't take you (they have catchment areas which can be a bit strange) then they should be able to give you contact details for the PCT or whoever looks after surgeries, and they will tell you which surgeries can take you. If you have a choice, then it is worth visiting and asking what services the various practices offer, especially if you have any medical conditions that need regular review.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • LondonDiva
    LondonDiva Posts: 3,011 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    have a look at www.nhs.uk & they will tell you which practices are close to you. Give them a ring & check if your street falls in their catchment area.

bear in mind that a lot of practices will do new registrations on a particular day rather than a turn up & register. You will need proof of address & who you are such as a passport.

If any problems contact your PCT's PALS service.
    "This is a forum - not a support group. We do not "owe" anyone unconditional acceptance of their opinions."
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure