Help please Debt from 1998 i'm confused.

Options
Hi, Please can someone offer me some advice on this situation.
I received a letter today from a debt collection agency for £304.30. I rang the agency because as far as I am aware I don't have any outstanding debts. The lady confirmed it was a debt owing to littlewoods from 1998 at a previous address. The thing is I don't remember even having a catalogue at the address. I told the agency this and they said they would get in touch with littlewoods for more info. I did live at the address in 1998 but as I said I cant remember having a catalogue.
I know it was 10 years ago but surely I would remember, and if I did have this debt why leave it 10 years to get hold of me?
I am confused and don't know what to do about it can they order me to pay the debt because I lived at the address?
TIA Mandy.

Comments

• rayday2
    rayday2 Posts: 3,960 Forumite
    Options
    Well two things you can do here, you can either request a signed credit agreement which I doubt they will have or you can send a letter because it has gone past the 6 years. Either way you do not have to pay it!
  • robpw2
    robpw2 Posts: 14,044 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Send them a statute barred letter you wanna tell them that they can fish all they want but your not going to take the bite

Slimming world start 28/01/2012 starting weight 21st 2.5lb current weight 17st 9-total loss 3st 7.5lb
    Slimmer of the month February , March ,April
  • manzy
    manzy Posts: 6 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for replying, sorry to be dumb but what is statute barred? :o
  • fermi
    fermi Posts: 40,546 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    manzy wrote: »
    Thanks for replying, sorry to be dumb but what is statute barred? :o

The "Limitation Act" prevents any debt that you have not acknowledged in WRITING or by making a PAYMENT for a period of six years being enforced through the courts. It becomes "Statute Barred"

There is a factsheet to read and letter to send in the link below.

Factsheet | Liability for Debts and the Limitation Act
    Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

IVA & fee charging DMP companies: Profits from misery, motivated ONLY by greed
  • fermi
    Options
    Also have a read through the thread linked to below, since the situation is almost the same as yours.

Link: Kays debt DCC - not mine - help!
    Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

• RAS
    RAS Posts: 32,689 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    They are legally entiteld to ask you to pay, but once you have told them that you do not want to, they cannot enforce the debt, even if it actually is yours.
    The person who has not made a mistake, has made nothing
  • manzy
    manzy Posts: 6 Forumite
    Options
    fermi wrote: »
    Also have a read through the thread linked to below, since the situation is almost the same as yours.

Link: Kays debt DCC - not mine - help!

Thanks for the link I hadn't read it, but I have now printed the letter off and will send it to them. Just one more question should I hand write the letter or is a printed copy ok? Mandy
  • Lizalu
    Lizalu Posts: 437 Forumite
    Options
    A printed copy will be fine, make sure you don't sign it - just write your name. You can never be too careful!
    odi et amo
  • fermi
    Options
    manzy wrote: »
    Thanks for the link I hadn't read it, but I have now printed the letter off and will send it to them. Just one more question should I hand write the letter or is a printed copy ok? Mandy

Either is fine.

But what you must do is send it by recorded/signed for delivery.

If you don't, debt collection agencies will normally deny that they ever received it.:rolleyes:

• In_Search_Of_Me
    Options
    Let us know how you get on!
    Nerd no 109 Long haulers supporters DFW #1! Even in the darkest moments, love and hope are always possible.

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure