URGENT ADVICE PLEASE..Are we being fobbed off yet again

Options
Hi

I have posted on here before about us not getting any maintenance for our grandson who we have residency off. We have had him since Nov 2002 and have only ever managed to get about 5 payments of his father in all this time. We have filed I don't know how many complaints and used our MP on at least 3 occassions trying to get some money for our grandson.
His mother used to pay us direct but we have not had any payments from her in over 12 months, she refused to pay, her attitude was if the father wont pay and the csa let him get away with it, she was going to do the same.
His mother was in court last Wednesday and because she is on IB she has to pay back £1.00 a week to cover her arrears, we are not sure how much the arrears are but around £1000, at least. The judge also told her that because of errors made at the csa she is not liable to pay back any arrears arising from October 07, because it was down to the csa for not collecting the money from DWP, where do we stand on these outstanding arrears, are they now lost or will the csa have to pay it to us.
The fathers outstanding arrears were around £3000 - £4000 pounds 2 years ago, we dont know what the correct amount to date is. His case has been with enforcement for about 5-6 months now, and they keep telling us that they are waiting for a court date, but surely it doesn't take this long. We received a new payment schedule for him in January 08, saying that he had to pay £87 a week, this amount included payment for arrears, this is the same old story no money came forward. When we phoned up csa about it we were told that his case was with enforcement and that it was nothing to do with the csa. When we phone enforcement they dont seem interested either.
We went via our mp and sent our case to the parliamentary ombudsman at the beginning of the year, today we had a phone call from them saying that we had to go through ICE before the ombudsman will look at it.
Are we being fobbed off yet again, we are at our wits end, no matter which way we turn we are hitting a brick wall, all we want is the money owing to our grandson, the ombudsman said the waiting time to be dealt with at ICE is 34 weeks, yes 34, I did double check the time when they said.
PLEASE can anyone give us some advice

Caris

Comments

• Sensemaya
    Sensemaya Posts: 1,739 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    caris wrote: »
    Hi

Hi Caris - I'm a bit pushed for time at moment, but -

The judge also told her that because of errors made at the csa she is not liable to pay back any arrears arising from October 07, because it was down to the csa for not collecting the money from DWP, where do we stand on these outstanding arrears, are they now lost or will the csa have to pay it to us.

Take a look at the sticky link -

http://www.dwp.gov.uk/publications/dwp/2003/frm/01_fore.asp

"As part of that, if we make errors we owe it to our customers to apologise and do all we can to restore them to where they should have been in the first place. In this way our customers will receive the service which Parliament intended."

Put this to your MP who should phone Parliamentary hotline and see what happens.

I would like to see the Judge's Order in writing too.

The fathers outstanding arrears were around £3000 - £4000 pounds 2 years ago, we dont know what the correct amount to date is.

Ask for an account breakdown.

We went via our mp and sent our case to the parliamentary ombudsman at the beginning of the year, today we had a phone call from them saying that we had to go through ICE before the ombudsman will look at it.

First I have heard of this. I've been to the PO twice. Never used ICE. Phone up PO and clarify this is correct.

Are we being fobbed off yet again, we are at our wits end, no matter which way we turn we are hitting a brick wall, all we want is the money owing to our grandson, the ombudsman said the waiting time to be dealt with at ICE is 34 weeks, yes 34, I did double check the time when they said.
    PLEASE can anyone give us some advice

Caris

My comments should be in blue. Edit: They are not, but I'm sure you can see them. Sorry about that, Caris.
  • Sensemaya
    Options
    OK Caris. This was bugging me.

Having just phoned them up on 020 7217 3000 - you need to be asked to be transferred to the PO, it appears the rules HAVE been changed in the past 6-12 months and ICE cannot be by-passed.

They are really dragging things out. Perhaps they are over -loaded with complaints.

I will have to update the sticky.
  • kelloggs36
    kelloggs36 Posts: 7,710 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Caris this is wrong - you can go to EITHER ICE OR the Ombudsman, but you CAN'T DO BOTH!!!!! So yes, your MP CAN send this to the ombudsman.
  • Sensemaya
    Options
    Hi Kelloggs

Hope you are well.

I have just phoned up the PO ( and revised the sticky link ). It appears they have changed the rules about bypassing ICE. The PO won't touch CSA cases unless they have gone through ICE.

The PO must have been getting bombarbed with too many complaints. This is going to make life even more difficult for people now, because we know ICE can botch up to.
  • kelloggs36
    kelloggs36 Posts: 7,710 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks for that Sensemaya - good to know! What's with you?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure