sorry if silly question

Options
I have been tracing my pensions.My civil service pension comes out at @£5000 from 60,another as @£2000 from 65.
Today,I got my estimate of £101 pw for the state pension. Do I get this as well as the other two?
Hope so as £12000 pa pension should be enough and 15 years to build up more.

Comments

• Pal
    Pal Posts: 2,076 Forumite
    Options
    Yes, the private pensions should be on top of the state pension that has been quoted, assuming that the rules don't change before you come to retire.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,101 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Remember your State Pension is taxable and the way to tax it is through a deduction in the tax code applied to your main occupational pension.
  • bernardh_2
    Options
    I hadn`t realised that.So I work for 44 years to get a state pension of £101.39 and they are going to TAX it? Thanks a lot government.
  • Milarky
    Milarky Posts: 6,356 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I have been tracing my pensions.My civil service pension comes out at @£5000 from 60,another as @£2000 from 65.
    Today,I got my estimate of £101 pw for the state pension. Do I get this as well as the other two?
    Hope so as £12000 pa pension should be enough and 15 years to build up more.

'£101pw' is much more than the single state pension - are you married or does this include a notional element of 'SERPS/S2P'?

Civil servants [like many] are actually contracted out of these 'top up' pensions via their employer's main scheme. So I suspect part of that figure of '£101pw' may include notional SERPS/S2P that you wont actually get through the state pension as it is paid through the occupational pension [confused?] (My late father's pension book used to contain items which were first 'added' to the basic pension amount, but then 'deducted' a few lines below where his employer's scheme included the equivalent of contracted out benefits in the amount they paid to him!)

So I believe the 'good news' is that I think you get the basic state pension, so don't lose all of it. But I would be interested to hear more about the breakdown of your Pensions Forecast?
    .....under construction.... COVID is a [discontinued] scam
  • bernardh_2
    Options
    The breakdown is:
    Basic state pension £79.60
    Additional State Pension £21.60
    Graduated Retirement Benefit £ 0.19 (wow)

Total weekly state pension up to 5 April 2019 £101.39

This assumes I do 12 "qualifying years" in the next 15.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure