How long to wait for bill

Options
Hi Guys. Bit of advice needed. living in Edinburgh, living in a flat. Over a year ago council decided roof of flats needed redoing and said all flats in building would have to pay equal shares and they gave an estimate of how much this would be. Now the work was finished over a year ago and we have received no bill from the council. I have the money to pay put aside but could use it for other things. My question is how long can the council wait before issuing the bill?

Comments

• floss2
    floss2 Posts: 8,030 Forumite
    Options
    Is this a privately owned flat, private rented or Council?

Also, you may get better advice on the House Buying & Renting board.....
  • leedsrus
    Options
    My flat is privately owned, but there are a number of council flats within the building. Was not sure which board to put this on and did not want to duplicate.
  • floss2
    floss2 Posts: 8,030 Forumite
    Options
    So when they gave their quote, did the Council divide the cost by the TOTAL number of flats or just by the private ones? And have you any correspondence from them, that you can contact them to enquire about the bill? Could it have gone to a management company?
  • leedsrus
    Options
    Quote was for bill to be divided by total number of flats. so 18 flats in building so quote was divivded into 18 bits. No correspondance other than the original quote and note that the work would take place. Nothing since work finished.
  • tallyhoh
    tallyhoh Posts: 2,305 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I had work done on my flat ( I owned it) in a council owned block in 1992. I left there in 1995 & they had my forwarding address. I have yet to receive even a breakdown of the costs much less a bill.

They can whistle now but as your council are probably just well behind & may yet send a bill, I would put the money in a deposit account & earn some money on it. After 6 years I feel you would be entitled to keep it.
    Tallyhoh! Stopped Smoking October 2000. Saved £29382.50 so far!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure