We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Help Required ASAP

Options

Comments

• Willsnarf1983
    Willsnarf1983 Posts: 1,928 Forumite
    Options
    from what i am aware if u make repated applications for loans they show on ur credit report and if other companies see that u have already ask a number of times for loans then thye will be wary and refuse u....

Will
    SShhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
  • bargainqueen_2
    Options
    I'm with Will on this, you need to leave it for about 3 months or so before trying to apply anywhere else. Also, it may not be a good idea to consolidate because if there is any spare money you know from experience you may well fritter it away (sorry don't wanna be harsh). You need to tell your girlfriend to move her phone, tell her that you don't have the money to go out etc. and start really being tight with yourself to throw all the money you can at your debt. It's the only way you will be able to breathe again! Also, with regards to smoking, I am not in debt but I was literally about to break into my savings account to buy a packet of fags- and then realised how stupid that was. I have managed to quit with the help of this board (there's a thread somewhere, I will find it for you if you are interested) and I promise I used to be the most addicted smoker I knew. I truly believe if I can do it, anyone can - just some food for thought there. Good luck!
    Three years, six months, three weeks, 13 hours, 48 minutes and 30 seconds. 26011 cigarettes not smoked, saving $11,704.80. Life saved: 12 weeks, 6 days, 7 hours, 35 minutes.
  • Willsnarf1983
    Willsnarf1983 Posts: 1,928 Forumite
    Options
    O/T bargain queen are u an auzzy or a emigrater? i really fancy working in australia for a while but obv need to be debt free first....just wonderring

Will
    SShhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
  • delboypass
    delboypass Posts: 229 Forumite
    Options
    You spend over £150 a month smoking (£5*31) - if you seriously want to tackle your debt your going to have to give up. this is a huge amount of money.

Why take your car to UNI, get some public transport? should save you loads of dosh.

Budget for hte month for you going out - say £50 a month. and then when its spent, you cant spend anymore.

Your going to have to get realistic about you budget, screw it down and stick to it if you seriously want to tackle you debts.

I used to smoke but now im a fitness freak and enjoy it about a trillion times more. Cycle everywhere, look fit and hate the smell of smoke and the damage it causes people!
  • delboypass
    delboypass Posts: 229 Forumite
    Options
    PS YOU GOT TO TELL PEOPLE SO THEY CAN HELP YOU. OF COURSE THEY ARE GOING TO CALL YOU NAMES AND SHOUT AT YOU (common things people do when they are shocked! - NORMAL) BUT YOU ARE JUST HIDING otherwise and it will just get worse.

their support will help you through this and they can help you save and budget too.

Also when budgeting, spend time on doing this correctly, i know someone who would rather iron but they failed to understand that because of their inaction and disregard for their problems they are slipping into further debt.

Hit this hard on the nose and snowball these debts til they go away. Stop applying for new loans and start paying off the cards!
  • bargainqueen_2
    Options
    O/T bargain queen are u an auzzy or a emigrater? i really fancy working in australia for a while but obv need to be debt free first....just wonderring

You have a pm. But I emigrated here 3 months ago.
    Three years, six months, three weeks, 13 hours, 48 minutes and 30 seconds. 26011 cigarettes not smoked, saving $11,704.80. Life saved: 12 weeks, 6 days, 7 hours, 35 minutes.
  • LoLo
    LoLo Posts: 545 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi just wanted to say with regards to your mobile phone bill, o2 do a sim only package. You pay direct debit like contract except you are not contracted to them for any amount of time. I pay £25 per month line rental which seems a lot but this actually gives me 200 anytime minutes and 1000 free texts, yes one thousand free texts. I have saved quite a bit on my phone bill with this as I tend to text quite a lot. Hope this may be of some help to you.
  • idiot_3
    idiot_3 Posts: 136 Forumite
    Options
    hi, i know you said they don't do it for you, but rollies are the way to go. i was on 40 marlboros a day before i started to sort my life out. now a £2.61 12.5 gram bag of golden virginia lasts me 3-4 days. if you are a but ham fisted and can't roll for about £3 you can buy a rolling machine from any tobacconists, which pops out perfect rolls, put in a filter and you wouldn't know the difference.

(i know quitting is the best option, but if like me, there is a lot going on, tackle one thing at a time.)

also there is no need to spend £10 a day parking! this is like an expensive ncp i presume! either park a bit further and walk, or park at a station further out and get the train in. most station car parks are either free or minimal cost.
  • Josie_Jump_3
    Josie_Jump_3 Posts: 367 Forumite
    Options
    Firstly, you've got to be up front with your girlfriend, if she knows the state of your debt then she should take some responsibility and start paying her own phone bill. Also when you go out do you end up paying for her as well ? If you do then perhaps if she knew how bad it is she'll be more understanding and perhaps treat you to something once in a while or pay her way a bit more. You need her understanding and support to get through this.

What about getting an evening job to earn a bit more cash, that'll stop you going out and spending it, this way you'll be earning instead.
  • Tondella
    Tondella Posts: 934 Forumite
    Options
    Hi MW84

I'm still with orange, paying £20 per month for 1000 minutes of free orange/landline evening and weekend calls and 250 texts. It's not as cheap as the 02 one but might suit you more if your girlfriend is going to stay on orange. Orange give details of their payment plans online, which will give you a fair idea of what they normally offer for their money. Martin has written an excellent article about how to negotiate your tariff down on your existing network. Essentially the magic words are "Hello I'd like to terminate my account with Orange". I'd recommend, having a look at the website, working out what components are most important to you (cross-network, daytime, texts etc) and then phoning them up with a clear idea of what you would like to pay. If you do agree to a package that you then have second thoughts about you can always call them back up (within a couple of days) and renegotiate (I originally agreed to a £25 package as they told me this was roughly my average bill per month, when I checked myself I found the average to be £20, so I got them to put me on the £20 tariff).

Newcastle has an excellent transport system, have you looked into commuting for your one day at uni? Your union may also have some excellent discounts for students, we had snapfaxes which allowed us discounts at various restaurants and bars so when you do feel the need to go out you can make your budget last longer.

My boyfriend resisted telling me about his (£20k) debts for ages, but once I got over the initial shock we managed the debt between us. I also told my parents, whilst they were a little annoyed at the state of affairs he had got himself into and they did not offer any direct financial assistance, being able to talk to someone about it made the problem seem a lot less. I understand that you might not feel comfortable speaking to your parents, but please do keep talking to us!
    Debt Oct 2005: £32,692.94
    Current debt: £14,000.00
    Debt free date: June 2008
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.5K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 610K Mortgages, Homes & Bills