Please Help credit card debt - CCJ & Charging Order

Options
Not sure if this is the correct board so I am just going to be cheeky and post it on another board as well.

Firstly, Thanks a lot to all you good people on MSE

I was foolish enough to ignore a credit card debit of £3,000 back in 2006. This was then taken to court and a ccj followed by an interim charge on my share ownership property (50% my share) was registered on Dec 06. Earlier this week I received a letter from the solicitors threatening to pursue the forced sale of my property if I don’t settle the debt (now at £4,800). I called the solicitors to offer £100 per month payment and they insisted that I pay the whole amount within 7 days or they will force a sale on the property. I argued with them that it’s impossible as the property is not wholly mine and the housing association will not allow this to happen.

Now this got me think – that the amount they are demanding may not be the true figure set by the courts and that since I owed only £3000 of the debt and also when the debt was passed to them it was only £3,300. Realistically I should be able to claim the £300 through unfair credit card charges and possibly argue on the £1,500 added by the solicitors.

As mentioned above, I have now dug my head out of the sand and prepared to face this debt. Pay what I owe, get the charge on the property lifted and subsequently satisfy the ccj.

I need your help as to how to go about getting this done;
  • Is my first point of call to contact the courts and agree on a fixed amount to pay?
  • Wait for the solicitors to take me to court again therefore attend the hearing and pledge with the courts to set a monthly payment? Will this mean more charges added to the £4,800?
  • Is the £4,800 likely to be what the courts set in the first place? Or have the solicitors added more charges since then?
  • My understanding is that since this debt is covered as by the consumer credit agreement and below £5,000 no other charges/interest can be added to the amount the courts set when the ccj was granted.
  • Basically how can I go about reducing this debt to the original amount owed (£3,000) and agree a payment plan? Although I can afford a monthly £100 p/m, I will also pay about £1000 May08 and another £1000 May09 towards the debt when I get my employment bonus. I am confident that by May 09 I will be able to settle the debt. However I am reluctant to pay back £4,800 for an initial debt of £3000
Sorry for the long post and I welcome any advise from anyone with past experience, knowledge of the law regarding such a case.

Anyone with negative comments to give or simply wanting to have a go on how stupid I have been – please don’t bother. Yes I know I have been really silly for letting this go this far but I am now ready to pay what I owed

Thanks I advance

Comments

• hypno06
    hypno06 Posts: 32,296 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Sorry, I don't know the answer, but didn't want to "read and run" so have bumped it up in the hope someone else can answer pretty soon.

I hope you get it sorted soon - it does seem harsh.
    Successful women can still have their feet on the ground. They just wear better shoes. (Maud Van de Venne)
    Life begins at the end of your comfort zone (Neale Donald Walsch)
  • AJ0907
    AJ0907 Posts: 12 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks Hypno.

I have just finished reading a lot of positive threads about dealing with CCJ and Charging order.

I now feeling even more positive that they will not be able to force a sale as only half of the property belongs to me and the other half to the housing association. The debt is also not that huge to force a sale.

Come Monday I going to the following;
    1. Contact the Court and find more about the ccj, what amount it was set at and whether there was any annual interest charges.
    2. Contact the Solicitors for a breakdown list of the £3,300 debt passed by the CC company
    3. Contact the CC company for a detailed CC statement upto when I defaulted
    Once I receive all the necessary information, I will then contact CAB, CCCS or anyone one of the free debt advice agency and find out what my options are.

Although I messed up big time, I am all positive now and will neither let the solicitors threatened nor bully me to accept their terms. I will try my hardest to get this debt reduced whilst paying a minimum of £100 p/m
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure