Hello from new person!

Options
So I've had my lightbulb moment and have joined MSE for a bit of moral support. Looking at the advice for new bods I think I have to bite the bullet and post the following (grits teeth)

Monthly Incomings:

My salary - £1354
Benefits - £0.00

Total - £1,354

Monthly Outgoings:

Mortgage/Rent - £250
Council Tax - £110
Gas - £20
Electric - £40
TV Licence - £10.99
Sky £42.00
Phone - £40.00
Food - £235
Petrol - £80
Life Insurance £21.50

Total: £859.39

HSBC Loan – Balance £945 5 months to go

Barclay card £1,716 0% APR until June 2008
MBNA card £1,602 0% APR until Jan 2009

Overdraft - £200 (limit £700) APR 20%

On paper (screen ;) that might not seem too bad but my husband has taken early retirement and we are going through IVF which has bashed all our savings so it has to work first time through! And the roof on our house needs to be fixed at a cost of £5k. I have not included my husband's income as he has taken early retirement, I have also borrowed thousands of him over the years to supplement my income having been freelance for years or 'between jobs'. We have separate bank accounts anyway.

My biggest problem is that the treatment has taken it's toll on me both financially and emotionally. I am awful at curing my misery with a shopping spree and this is where my debts have built up.

I have made the sensible decision of getting my debts on to 0% cards and cut down the shopping bill by growing own veg and supplementing with organic box since I am trying very hard to keep healthy due to IVF. I am also thinking of changing Sky to Virgin to consolidate our services. In an ideal world I'd like to clear the debts so that I can start to save up in case I need to go through all the cost of treatment again.

Anyway, this is me and I just wanted to say hello and look forward to meeting a few more people. Off to read the running club thread as I'd like to be thinner and debt free too!

Comments

• GirlRacer_2
    GirlRacer_2 Posts: 3,026 Forumite
    Options
    Hi there and welcome aboard. I think food is a good place to cut back. Pop over to the Old Style board and see what they suggest there, also meal plan. SInce doing that I have saved a fortune on my shopping. Is there any way OH could help you out with paying some on these back?
  • vandanfc
    vandanfc Posts: 2,027 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Sky and phone costs seem high ? Can you not get Sky's combined package for Tv and phone for a lot less ?
  • perfectlypoor
    Options
    do you watch a lot on sky? could you get freeview instead.
    LBM-29/08/07
    Good Enough Club member no 42
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,653 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Hi & welcome
    we are a great bunch here :)

Positively you only have 5 months on your loan.
    When that has finished chuck that money at your credit cards and they will soon come down.
    Pop over to the loose weight thread on the 'I wanna... board.
    Will look out for you.

Take care.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • jacs76
    jacs76 Posts: 2,140 Forumite
    Options
    hi and welcome :D
    how many is the food feeding?
    sky do you really really need this? ......i thought i did
    car insurance?
    dentist?
    haircuts?
    mot?
    tax?
    etc etc have you missed these or don't you pay for them?

i do understand the ivf bit we had to stop infertility treatment in the end just because we were bl00dy skint and suffering finacially and emotionally so huge hugs to you :grouphug: and all the luck and love in the world with it

luv jacs xx
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport