Lowell financial - chasing me for someone elses debt

Options
Can anyone give me any advice please.
Lowell Financial are continually chasing me for another persons debt - the person has the same surname but a different first name. Lowells have said the address matches mine.
So far we have not received a single letter from them or anyone else concerning this so called debt but are continually getting phone calls as early as 8am in the morning. I have repeatedly told them there is no one of that name at this address and they have promised to stop ringing - ha ha - we are still getting phone calls as of this week.
I have just received my experian report and nothing is showing for them & my credit history is fine. Even so I am still getting worried.
Has anyone else had the same problem with Lowells & what did you do.
I have said in the last call to them that if the phone calls continue I will consult my solicitor as I am getting fed up.
Is there another solution ???
Any help gratefully received.

Comments

• fermi
    fermi Posts: 40,546 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    You could try sending this RECORDED delivery.
    Amend Green text (and any other) to suit your circumstances.
    1 High Street,
    Newtown,
    Kent
    R21 4RH
    October 9, 2007

The Loan Company
    Company House,
    Church Street,
    Newtown,
    Kent,
    R1 7HG

Re: Name of the person they are trying to contact.

Dear Sir/Madam

You have contacted us repeatedly via telephone regarding a debt which you claim is owed by the person referenced above.
    I must emphasise that nobody of that name resides at this address.

We would also point out that we have no knowledge of any such debt being owed to The Loan Company.

We are familiar with the ‘Office of Fair Trading Debt Collection Guidance’ which states that it is unfair to make demands for payment to an individual when it is uncertain that they are the debtor in question.

We would also point out that the OFT say under the Guidance that it is unfair to pursue third parties for payment when they are not liable. In not ceasing collection activity whilst investigating a reasonably queried or disputed debt you are using deceptive/and or unfair methods.

Furthermore, ignoring and/or disregarding claims that debts have been settled or are disputed and continuing to make unjustified demands for payment amounts to physical/psychological harassment.

We would ask that no further contact be made concerning the above accounts unless you can provide evidence as to our liability for the debt in question.

We await your written confirmation that this matter is now closed. Otherwise we will have no option but to make a complaint to the trading standards department and consider informing the OFT of your actions.

ANY further calls WILL result in an immediate complaint to all the relevant authorities.

We look forward to your reply.

Yours faithfully

Mrs A N Other
    The threats regarding complaining are not idle. If calls continue after the letter make the complaints about Lowells.
    Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

IVA & fee charging DMP companies: Profits from misery, motivated ONLY by greed
  • clarejonesy
    Options
    Thank you very much for your help.
    Will give it a go & post the outcome on the forum.

Clare
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport