Dont know where to start!

Options
Well its time to admit the trouble im really in!

Ive been lurking aroung here for months feeling smug with myself because I thought i had my situation under control when really the full reality of the hole I am in has just hit me and I am so ashamed and disappointed with myself :o

I am at that horrible stage where I am hiding from my mail and If I am perfectly honest with myself.....I dont even know how much debt I am really in! The worst part of it is that my other half doesnt really know whats going on and I cant bring myself to tell him.

I have a couple of arrangements with DCA's which I am paying faithfully but I fear this is just the start of it. I really want to get myself sorted out and be able to go to bed without fretting about money all night and not sleeping...Its making me ill!

So I am looking for advice from you very kind people on what to do next.

Thanks so much for listening

SillyGirl x

Comments

• sallyx
    sallyx Posts: 15,815 Forumite
    Options
    OK you've done one of the hardest bits by realising you have a problem. Now can you post a SOA - statement of affairs, list you incoming and all your outgoings. There is a post by Southen Scouser which will tell you exactly what we need then we can help you to cut back. You also need to find out exactly what you owe to creditors...open that post and write it all down
    I'll make a wish, take a chance, make a change And breakaway. I'll take a risk, take a chance, make a change and breakaway ....
    Finally Debt Free...
  • sillygirl24
    Options
    Sally, where do I find out exactly what I owe? will it all be on my credit file? I am terrified to look if I am honest....
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    There is a way you can find out. Someone more knowledgeable will be along soon hopefully! But in the meantime ring the Citizens Advice Bureau, National Debtline, Consumer Credit Counselling Service, or Payplan for free advice.

And do your SOA as suggested. Just put down what you can for now, and then update it as you find out more. It's important to cut down on your outgoings as soon as you realise you have a problem.
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 😱 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017 :T 🎉
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £50/£5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £10/£5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
    HOLIDAY MONEY = £0 TIME LEFT TO PAY OFF MORTGAGE = 5 YEARS 1 MONTHS
  • sallyx
    sallyx Posts: 15,815 Forumite
    Options
    Sally, where do I find out exactly what I owe? will it all be on my credit file? I am terrified to look if I am honest....

You need to open all the letters that you have left unopened and make a list of what you owe to whom. I guessing that if you have left it a while some of the debt may have been sold on to DCA's so there maybe duplicates. Order a copy of your credit files from experian and equifax and it should list some if not all of your creditors.
    There might be something that ive missed that someone else might be able to suggest??
    I'll make a wish, take a chance, make a change And breakaway. I'll take a risk, take a chance, make a change and breakaway ....
    Finally Debt Free...
  • Burlesque_Babe
    Options
    I have been exactly where you are now and it is horrible. I used to dread the postman, make sure I got to the mail before my ex, hid the letters in myhandbag, unopened. I paid a couple of DCA's but never knew the full extent of the problem. This was all pre-MSE and I wish it had been around then.

It will be really, really hard, but, put them all on the table, get a pad and a pen, open the letters and write down all the debts, the amounts outstanding and the stage they are at.

Have a glass of something wine-related near by if it helps ;) Also know, that whatever the total, we're here for you and we've all been through the same - and in some cases - worse.
    :D"Stay Wonky":D

:j:jBecome Mrs Pepe 9 October 2012 :j:j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family