Forum Home» Old Style MoneySaving

Yoghurt Cake (the easy way) - Page 2

New Post Advanced Search

Yoghurt Cake (the easy way)

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Old Style MoneySaving
40 replies 25.6K views

Replies

• Sandy2 wrote: »
    Here's one to start you off (my adaptations are in brackets),but there are lots of others including soda bread

1 pot (small) yoghurt any flavour you like (I used lemon)
    1 pot cooking oil (2/3rd pot corn oil)
    1 pot sugar.... (I used a lot less sugar)
    3 pots self raising flour.... (I used 2 pots flour)
    (I added some lemon zest )

1.Preheat oven to 180c
    2. place above ingredients in the bowl and beat till mixed.
    3. Pour mix in loaf tin
    4. Put in oven for 30 mins (180c)
    5. Take out of oven after 30 mins and allow to cool
    while cake is still luke warm make a runny icing sugar mixture with the juice from the lemon/orange it give a really fresh tangy taste that is absorbed into the cake.....so scrummy
    For the drizzle:
    Juice of lemon 1 to 3 heaped tbsp icing sugar. Make drizzle quite thin, so it soaks in
    • Preheat oven 190c for muffin size
    • 15-20 for smaller size.
    Mix syrup ingredients together, !!!!! hot cake with a skewer or fork and pour the syrup over. Leave in tin to cool completely

Hi Sandy,
    thanks for this.
    Baked it today. TBH I thought you'd forgotten the eggs so I added one !!(and used 3 cartons of flour)
    It did take an hour to cook however.
    Maybe that's because of the extra flour and an egg. :confused:
    Anyway, the result is a very light loaf cake, which is going down well!:p
    :wave:
  • Penelope_PenguinPenelope_Penguin Forumite
    17.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped! Best Buy Bear
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't suppose any of you kind ladies has a recipe for a cake or muffins that will use up a small carton of plain yoghurt?

I can't eat it "raw" so I have to put it into a dish/cake that is cooked.

Are you in the Mr Bad Example fan club :confused: You asked for a meatloaf recipe earlier in the week, and from the same series is this thread Mmmmm, cake (for bloke). The recipe he uses is post 4, and there are pics later. Hope you still have Tena Lady handy :T :j

Penny. x
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
  • Not me Penny, :confused:

I've already got a meat loaf recipe I like.....
    :wave:
  • mopheadmophead Forumite
    198 posts
    Just wanted to say thanks to the OP for the recipe I made it on friday, wrapped it up and we had it last night with custard the kids whoofed it down. When i told them we had yoghurt cake for after's they gave me a strange look i'm not sure what they thought they were going to get but they loved it!! Thanks.
  • TashjaTashja Forumite
    1.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Mine is in the oven now.

Used Orange Yoghurt and it looks yummy !

T xx
    Comp wins from 2011

11k in 2011 - £20.01
    :j
  • SagarisSagaris Forumite
    1.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker Photogenic Debt-free and Proud!
    ✭✭✭
    Mine's now in the oven - I used a spare Mullerlight peach smooth yougurt - will report back on the results later.

I didn't even get the electric whisk out - just used a balloon whisk - 5 minutes tops!
    :j Almost 2 stones gone! :j
    :heart2: RIP Clio 1.9.93 - 7.4.10 :heart2:
    :p I WILL be tidy, I WILL be tidy! :p
  • I blame you lot.
    I just thought Iwill go and make a yoghurt cake, I think I have a yoghurt lurking in the fridge. Well in trying to find it (unsuccessful, I think DD ate it) I knocked over a tub of cream(open) which fell in the salad drawer. I have now washed the spring onions, lettuce and cauliflower, and am going to make scones instead. I still have a bit of the dammed cream to put on them.
    I made the scones and they look very nice
    Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination:beer:

Oscar Wilde
  • TashjaTashja Forumite
    1.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Orange yoghurt cake with lemon butter icing - too yummy for words, all gone, diet blown out the window :(

T xx
    Comp wins from 2011

11k in 2011 - £20.01
    :j
  • SagarisSagaris Forumite
    1.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker Photogenic Debt-free and Proud!
    ✭✭✭
    My yoghurt cake was a bit sweet for our taste - could be because it was a diet youghurt with sweetener in it? I'm going to have another try this afternoon though, when the oven is on to cook dinner, I've bought a plain youghurt just to try it and will add some cocoa this time too.
    :j Almost 2 stones gone! :j
    :heart2: RIP Clio 1.9.93 - 7.4.10 :heart2:
    :p I WILL be tidy, I WILL be tidy! :p
  • just made the yog cake, but as muffins and added a cup of dried mixed fruit (tesco value)

absolutly lovely!
    Nonny mouse and Proud!!
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience
    !!
    Debtfightingdivaextraordinaire!!!!
    Amor et metus. Lac? Sugar? Quisque massa vel duo? (stolen from a lovely forumite!)