🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Experian

Options
2»

Comments

• msmicawber
    msmicawber Posts: 1,962 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Thanks, Jimbo, but the defaults were in 1998 and remained on my Experian record until I paid them off in 2006, then got marked 'settled'. Is that unusual? Can I ask Experian to remove them?
    Debt at highest: £6,290.72 (14.2.1999)
    Debt free success date: 14.8.2006 :j
  • Donedoingdebt
    Options
    The defaults must be removed after 6 years, ie 2004 in your case. If they haven't been removed then there's been a mess up somewhere. Contact Experian & they will remove them unless there's some very good reason why they can't.
    Donedoingdebt Lightbulb moment January 2000. Debt at highest approx £102,000. Debt now (October 2009 - absolutely fork all!!!):beer:
    CSA case closed on 02/09/10 :beer::beer:
  • HappyGoLucky_2
    Options
    Everyone is talking at cross-purposes here. There are actually 2 situations which give different answers.

(A) A default is recorded - no further payments paid
    The entire record is removed 6 years after the default

(B) A default is recorded - further payments made within 6 years of default.
    Default date and amount are removed 6 years after default date BUT the rest of the record is retained until 6 years AFTERthe last payment.
  • fermi
    fermi Posts: 40,544 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    Default date and amount are removed 6 years after default date BUT the rest of the record is retained until 6 years AFTERthe last payment.

No. That is incorrect. The default and account information should be removed 6 years from the default date regardless of any further payment information.

I've had that confirmed directly by Experian, and the Information Commissioner's Office.

Equifax even state the position on their website.

Link.
    Data Type: Credit Agreements
    Expiry Date:
    6 years from the date the account was settled, written off or defaulted, whichever occurred first

The factsheets and FAQ's on the Experian website are not worded very well, and it is possible to misunderstand the position from them.
    Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

IVA & fee charging DMP companies: Profits from misery, motivated ONLY by greed
  • Donedoingdebt
    Options

Agreeing with fermi again! All default & account details are removed after 6 years from date of default & cannot be re-registered on your file. This has been confirmed to me by both Experian & Equifax & as stated previously, this has happened in the last couple of years with my files. They are now squeaky clean even though my defaulted (in 2000) debts to Lloyds & several DCAs will not be paid until December 2008.
    Donedoingdebt Lightbulb moment January 2000. Debt at highest approx £102,000. Debt now (October 2009 - absolutely fork all!!!):beer:
    CSA case closed on 02/09/10 :beer::beer:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family