What age do you stop paying?

Options
13»

Comments

• oesd31
    oesd31 Posts: 34 Forumite
    Options
    andy5700 wrote: »
    Hi does anyone know if my daughter is claiming benefits in her own right does this mean child support is over?

I dont mean i want to stop supporting her just want to stop the money going straight to her mum who doesn't spend it on her

She is 18 and in part time education not sure if its more than 12 hours though and she has a part time job at the weekend and she is now pregnant (joy of joys)

Thanks in advance

Is your daughter staying in education? This happened to my partner his daughter fell pregnant at 15 was 16 when baby born. As she went back to college my partners ex claimed to be responsible for the baby and because of this she was able to claim CB and CTC for both daughter and baby. My partner therefore had to continue pay CM to his ex. He did question this with the csa to be told that what she was doing was very clever however not illegal.
    If your daughter claims benefit in her own right then cm should cease. Hope this helps.
  • chriszzz
    chriszzz Posts: 879 Forumite
    Options
    What about this, 15 yr old school girl living with mum? shes definately still a child, under 18 not allowed the vote, cant do any adult activities. Would child support stop for the 15yr old eg child benefit the lot? as the claim was made for her own???
    Now thats a tricky one!!! She is still a child and getting maintenance from nrp and pwc and yet she is not entitled to claim benefits but altho she is classed as a child but is now a mother and has a young child to support.....so now we should have another nrp paying mainetanance for the child....Oh I carnt cope with all these nrps and a child having a child!!!! Whats its coming too PWC NRP and Children......were has the family values gone!!!

This happened to my partner his daughter fell pregnant at 15 was 16 when baby born. As she went back to college my partners ex claimed to be responsible for the baby and because of this she was able to claim CB and CTC for both daughter and baby. My partner therefore had to continue pay CM to his ex. He did question this with the csa to be told that what she was doing was very clever however not illegal.
    I think recieving maintenance is like being reminded that you are still a child and once that stops its stating that you are now an adult and now you have to fend for yourself .

• Blonde_Bint
    Blonde_Bint Posts: 1,262 Forumite
    Options
    lol :rotfl: long gone, family values long gone. We seem to have entered the age of family conundrum:p

With the maintenance up to 20 before too long on this site its going to be really common, women having children at 18 to 20 is probably more common than 15yr olds. What about getting married too I forgot that one, though I suppose if your child got married at 18 CM stops surely??? Kelloggs another one please:)
  • chriszzz
    chriszzz Posts: 879 Forumite
    Options
    What about getting married too I forgot that one, though I suppose if your child got married at 18 CM stops surely??? Kelloggs another one please:)

As a parent with care am getting onto the government right now and telling them that when my children reach 18 they ARE ADULTS so stop sending me all this maintenance money......I dont want it, they WILL FEND FOR THEMSELVES lol
    Now before anyone takes it the wrong way am ONLY JOKING!!! not, nar I am joking!!
  • bdt1
    bdt1 Posts: 891 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hiya just a quick one??

If the child was 19 in July 09, and had been studying in full-time qualifying education,, would the CS be payable until the 1st week in Sept 09, as this is when the child benefit ceased to be paid for this child, or would CS cease on the 19th birthday in the July 09?????
  • mick6177
    mick6177 Posts: 26 Forumite
    Options
    CSA stops the First Monday after the "Child's" 19th Birthday....No ifs, No Buts.........................Until its 20
  • Loopy_Girl
    Loopy_Girl Posts: 4,444 Forumite
    Options
    chriszzz wrote: »
    What about getting married too I forgot that one, though I suppose if your child got married at 18 CM stops surely???

Yes.

Even if they get married at 16 and are still at school it would stop...also the same if they join the Forces.
  • steviemac2010
    Options
    Hi All,
    dont know if i have posted this in the correct thread..sorry.
    I have a daughter not living with me, that I pay maintenance for personal agreement between me and my ex-wife, my Daughter is 16 and NOT in full time education, do i have to keep up payments? we live in scotland so any advise for scotland law on this subject would be much appreciated.

sorry if i sound like scrouge here... but i do have good reasons for asking
    :j
    Thanks
    s
  • Shopafrolix
    Options
    I've read through this and most other threads, but can't seem to get answers to my particular problem.

I paid CM for my Son from age of 4 to 16 (private agreement), until he left school in June 2009 and went to college in Sept 2009. He then left college as he didn't like it after 4 weeks. As his mother was giving him all the £75 a week CM he didn't "need" an education or job. So to put a stop to this I stopped paying CM (in accordance with CSA rules) . His mother in turn stopped paying him as she couldn't afford to. After several job attempts (sacked and walked out) he eventually got a temp job with his Aunties firm in London on £300 a week June 2010. He also lived with her free of charge. He has been offered a full time contract with the firm but has told his mother that he wants to come home from London (back to Cardiff) so he can go to college again and get qualifications. Personally I think he's just work shy and missing his mates. He also don't know what course to go on !

My big question is - after leaving education at 16, being an ADULT for a year and deciding to return to college at aged 17, is he then classed as a CHILD again in the eyes of CSA, CM and Child Benefits ??

I know they say up until aged 19, but do they allow for 'breaks' in these rules? It's as though he went from Child, to Adult, then back to Child again !!

Thanks for advice in advance
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport