Tesco Gift Card

Options
I was sent one for renewing my motor insurance (though it took three months to arrive, so won't bother next year!).

The T&Cs, such as they are, mention they're valid for anything in their stores. They don't list anything as excluded, but as I try not to use Tesco much for shopping, I wondered if they're valid for petrol? That is, is the phrase 'in the stores' quietly excluding their petrol stations?

Comments

• perfectlypoor
    Options
    I had a asda gift card sent to me after I had complained and that couldn't be used for petrol so I would say no. Also most gift vouchers exclude use for petrol.
    PP
    LBM-29/08/07
    Good Enough Club member no 42
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,730 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    I don't think it's supposed to be for petrol but it will work on their tills as they share the same system. I have read a post a while back from someone who has used one for Tesco petrol before (make sure you don't go to a small Tesco with an Esso petrol station though, that's not a Tesco petrol station & they won't accept it).

So if there is a Tesco petrol station near you and the price is OK, try a few times until someone on the till scans it. I think I would just hand it over and say 'could you take the money off this card first please, I think it's worth £xx' - trying to sound confident about using it. Should be fine to use in the end.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • Ragtimeplayer
    Options
    I used to buy the giftcards in Tesco with money off coupons as part of my shopping and never had a problem using them in the petrol stations.

you will be fine so go fill up!
    Stopped smoking Jan 2007 after 23 years!
    Cigarettes NOT smoked = 240,945
    Smoke free days = 11 Years :T
    Cash saved so far = £125,45,11
  • softwaremad
    softwaremad Posts: 154 Forumite
    Options
    Please help,

as of today on 2 occasions i have had problems whilst trying to use gift cards in my local tesco's - the first time my hubby had a gift card for £50 purchased by his father in Swansea - we tried to use it over a week later to buy an itune card and it was not recognised so they transferred us from pos to customer services - where we found that because the transaction was suspended my normal tesco money back vouchers would no longer work! i was told by customer services to ring clubcard which i did only to be told that it was a problem for Customer services.

I gave up until today when my mother had returned a gift card to me for a purchase i made which turned out to be yet another inferior product that broke on first use (why do i keep on believing that they sell anything of quality). As i have just had my elbow replaced i was unable to go so my dear mam went and returned it in Bridgend store and they gave this gift card as i wasnt present with my debit card for the refund.

My sister took me there today and yet again my shopping went through i bagged it - presented the 2 tesco vouchers (fine they went through) gave the chap the gift card - non completed transaction - man o man i couldnt believe it - other staff came to try it and still no luck in the end a manager came and refused to believe that i had been here before and that my vouchers would not work once again if she suspended it to transfer to customer Services. Well long story short i dont like talking to brick walls and this manager obviously had no training in diffusing tense situations so the result was tesco left with shopping all over the floor and me being excorted off of the premises! why cant i use these gift cards in different stores from where they were purchased i have tried time and again to tell them there is obviously a glitch in their program to no avail!

Please any advice would be gladly welcome! at present we are looking at trying to get rid of these now offending items however no one wants them as they are aware of the problem in trying to use them as payment! :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure