Options

Comments

• codger
    codger Posts: 2,079 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Others may have read this.

I hadn't.

As an indictment of OfCOM, it's eloquent indeed -- assuming, of course, it's true???

http://www.digitalradiotech.co.uk/articles/Ofcom-admits-DAB-sound-quality-is-not-good-enough.php

I'm beginning to feel happy again today.

Last month I didn't buy a HD DVD player. This month I haven't bought a DAB radio.
  • L.S.D.
    L.S.D. Posts: 412 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    codger wrote: »
    Others may have read this.

I hadn't.

As an indictment of OfCOM, it's eloquent indeed -- assuming, of course, it's true???

http://www.digitalradiotech.co.uk/articles/Ofcom-admits-DAB-sound-quality-is-not-good-enough.php

I'm beginning to feel happy again today.

Last month I didn't buy a HD DVD player. This month I haven't bought a DAB radio.

& I didn't buy tickets for the Titanic, so what?
    Nice to save.
  • jamescollett
    Options
    Don't digital radios use more electricity?
    Yes, they do. A lot more, in fact.

But don't worry about using too much energy; there are plenty of fossil fuel reserves and scientists are bound to crack nuclear fusion really soon.

:rotfl:
  • jamescollett
    Options
    dardruba wrote: »
    I bought a very expensive DAB setup just so I could listen to Mike Chadwick the presenter of Cutting Edge jazz on the then new theJazz station.
    That was a foolish choice. Let's hope you have learned something from that quite expensive lesson.
    :T
  • Chester
    Options
    The lesson is that being an early adopter of technology at domestic level can be an expensive gamble. Over decades that I can remember, certainly before, and probably will be forever, technology development accelerates; meaning that there are more products that we can become early adopters in. In terms of WiFi, 802.11n is still not ratified. The consumer had the choice of joining in the war of the Hi-Def video disc formats, and more aligned with this thread, we have the choice of adopting DAB radio.

In different circles like video console games, audio disc formats, computers (PC Vs Mac), content is king. We have a choice; choose a strategy, spend your money and take a gamble, or don't. I think the question of going with DAB ultimately has to be a personal choice as can be concluded by some of our threads right here.

I've chosen to spend a little money on it to tread the waters. This was to evaluate DAB before moving on to a more expensive solution for my Clarion in-car setup, I've decided to stick with FM as the only additional content I'd listen to on DAB is Planet Rock (and I hasten to add I made this decision before the news of its inevitable closure). It's otherwise Radio2 and Radio4, or my own MP3 (256 kb/s) compilations from my CD collection that I listen to.

Touching on possibly the obvious here but in terms of IP radio (streams from the Internet), I'm guessing that a lot of people have speakers attached their computers (be it a PC/Mac/notebook)? So in using this site, generally surfing or using locally installed apps, you could be listening to IP radio with no extra outlay for hardware, right? Also if the software/codecs/streams change, you have an extremely versatile piece of equipment that only needs the equivalent client end changes, with no hardware changes. For this exact reason, my better half simply plugs in a pair of speakers into her ThinkPad notebook, and she can listen to practically what she likes. What was I saying about content?!! ;)
  • reynom04
    Options
    I can confirm it's got stereo output from headphones, which is ideal as I'm gonna rig it up to my monster hifi :beer:
  • Oliver27
    Oliver27 Posts: 608 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Anybody know if it has a charging circuit built in?, be good to be able to recharge batteries inside the radio.

talking about the £15 tesco radio btw.
  • d.a.mcfarlane
    Options
    Hi,

I've been looking around for an internet radio, and have decided to go for the Aldi one. It is £49.99 in my local Aldi, but have seen people saying that they are available in some stores for £34.99.

I was just wondering whether anyone knew if there is an Aldi in the South Wales area that had them for £34.99 as I'd be really annoyed to buy it at £49.99 if I can get it cheaper!

Thanks very much,

David
  • frmarcus
    Options
    This is another issue for DAB. Which? tests consumption and recommends accordingly. Theses days, this is an important issue with any appliance - particularly one that is left in standby.
  • Dustangle
    Options
    This thread is nearly all a lot of boring chatter either about the technical failings of the DAB format, or about internet radios. Nothing to do with the topic, which is cheap DAB radios.

I just want to know about cheap DAB radios.

Does anyone have any ingformation about cheap DAB radios?

M&S is doing 20% off a range of DAB rados so the Pure One is £40 instead of £50. Are there any better deals in cheap DAB radios out there?

Maybe I'm being unreasonable, but I don't want to know about anything else, at least in this thread.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure