Motivation graph?

Lotus-eaterLotus-eater Forumite
10.8K Posts
✭✭✭✭✭
I've got this idea, to have a graph on the back of a cupboard, or on the pc and plot the remaining years of payments on my mortgage and then when I make extra payments I can plot a new curve and see how much time/money I am saving.
I haven't got a clue how to do it though :rolleyes:

Any ideas? Or am I thinking about this slightly wrongly and should be considering something different.
Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes.

Replies

• KarmacatKarmacat Forumite
    36.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hiya

I like the visual ideas - I know someone on here has blocks representing £500 or so, and crosses them off when she pays it off, but yours also represents future interest saved, if I'm reading you correctly. Sounds really interesting, and I may just have to copy you if I can understand your system!
    Downsized and paid off mortgage 2010
    Retired August 2016
    Paid off French mortgage September 2018
    New kitchen fully installed June 2019
    Not counting this! 2020
    Garden fencing completed, woohoo 2021.......... Bunny hugger
    October 2021: aiming for £5,000 new money for premium bonds or a car.
  • Lotus-eaterLotus-eater Forumite
    10.8K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thats the idea, you can copy me once I work out how to do it :)
    Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes.
  • KarmacatKarmacat Forumite
    36.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    :wave: Great stuff!
    Downsized and paid off mortgage 2010
    Retired August 2016
    Paid off French mortgage September 2018
    New kitchen fully installed June 2019
    Not counting this! 2020
    Garden fencing completed, woohoo 2021.......... Bunny hugger
    October 2021: aiming for £5,000 new money for premium bonds or a car.
  • Hello.
    How about two graphs, one for how much you've got left (time and money) and one for how much you've saved (again time and money).

Myself, I use the 'blocks' method that Karmacat mentioned but I do mine on blocks of £100. I also have another 'blocks' chart for the percentage.
  • george_jetsongeorge_jetson Forumite
    143 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    I drew a chart of amount owed by month, but found the figures quite daunting. So what I do instead is plot my monthly mortgage interest bill. It's just as satisfying seeing this drop month by month, and over the years. Looking back over the past few years (they're all plotted on the same chart) I can see sudden dips and rises where the interest rate increased or decreased. But over the long term, linear regression shows the overall trend is one way - down! And when my interest payment is £0 I'll know I'm officially mortgage free!
    MFW Challenge: Mortgage free in 2008! ACHIEVED! :D
  • molitmolit Forumite
    373 Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    I fiond counting how many months payments I've saved so far to be good - and what that means in terms of money saved. At the minute I think I'm at a brand new lotus elise- aiming for a Boxster by the end of this year :-)
    No longer an accidental landlord, still a wannabe millionaire:beer:

initiative q sign up link

https://initiativeq.com/invite/HQHpIjaoQ
  • Hi,

what a brilliant idea, if you work sth out can you please make it available?

as some of you know I am really rubbish at calculating - that would help me so much and keep me motivated as well:j
  • catshark88catshark88 Forumite
    1.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    ✭✭✭
    The mortgage store does a good calculator for this. I enclose a link in case it helps the design process.

http://www.the-mortgagestore.co.uk/mortgagecalculator.asp
    "Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful." William Morris
  • I did have an excel spreadsheet - with graphs I downloaded from somewhere..
    I will try and find it if anybody is interested.
    Give somebody a hug it costs nothing
  • Lotus-eaterLotus-eater Forumite
    10.8K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes please, thats the sort of thing I had in mind. But I haven't got the skill to sort it out I think and I haven't had time to even think about it since I posted :D
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides