red debt collection (help)

Options
help!!!

I have received a letter from Red Debt collection agency in my maiden name, I have been married in my new name for 25 years and live in our house for the same amount of time. i have replied that I have no knowledge
of this debt £1300 owing to Barclaycard. today I received a letter offerring to reduce the debt to half. I have no knowledge of this debt. Until this letter came I have never had any letters regarding it but have to say find it all very very worrying.
(
I would welcome any advice as to how to proceed, template letter for statue barred woud be helpful, my Husband is awaiting heart surgery at Harefield and I dont want him to worry about this.

poppy43

Comments

• stapeley
    stapeley Posts: 2,315 Forumite
    Options
    No need to worry they are just fishing . It probably someone with the same name . Do not ring them , deal only by letter, give them no details about yourself . Just write back saying you have no knowledge of a person of that name at that address. Do not sign it , just print your name . good luck
  • fermi
    fermi Posts: 40,546 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    Is this a previous debt of yours?

If it is and you want to write the "Statute Barred" letter, then read the factsheet below to see if it applies. If it does then there is a letter template at the end.

Factsheet | Liability for Debts and the Limitation Act

If this debt has nothing at all to do with you then send the letter in the link below.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.html?p=8025389&postcount=2

If you send either letter it should go by RECORDED delivery.
    Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

IVA & fee charging DMP companies: Profits from misery, motivated ONLY by greed
  • poppy43
    poppy43 Posts: 19 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you for your advice and links, I am unsure to send the "Statue Barred" letter or not, I might first suggest they send all documents relating to this debt giving them 12 days to respond.
  • fermi
    fermi Posts: 40,546 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    You can do that if you feel that is suitable.

Since the debt is not yours then there is no action they can take against you. All they can do is send letters and perhaps phone.

Hopefully when it's 100% clear to them that you are not the person the debt belongs to, and that you won't be persuaded to pay anything as a result of their "fishing" letters, they will probably move on to the next [strike]victim[/strike] person.
    Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

IVA & fee charging DMP companies: Profits from misery, motivated ONLY by greed
  • poppy43
    Options
    I really dont know what to do for the best, the letter is in my maiden name but as I said I have been married 25 years in my new name and no one has made contact before at this address and we have lived here for 25 yrs. If I send the statute barred letter it may look as if it has something to do with me, what do you suggest. I would appreciate your advice.
  • THE_LONE_RANGER_4
    Options
    i would bin it its not you i wouldnt phone them just bin it.
  • poppy43
    Options
    BUMP!!!!

thanks alot guys and girls for your help
  • angiegofton
    Options
    we got one of these, followed advise by sending letter saying statute barred debt, not anything back yet, do not worry
  • poppy43
    Options
    thank you, please let me know if you get a reply from them, I have had three letters now and just keep saying unknown have not sent statute barred letter yet, was it anything to do with you many years ago.
  • poppy43
    Options
    Dear angiegofton

got another letter today in my married name from the red agency, same letter but the first batch was in my maiden name, so will phone the cas tomorrow, have to heard from them yourselves, unsure what to do.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure