csa payments

Options
When do I stop paying for my son who will be 16 next year. I currently pay 15% of my monthly wage. My lad will probably leave school next year and hopefully get an apprenticeship. The csa are vague on this one in their booklet.

Comments

• enemes
    enemes Posts: 909 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    My lad will probably leave school next year and hopefully get an apprenticeship. The csa are vague on this one in their booklet.

I have just flicked through the CSA booklets, and they are quite unclear. Various forms of further education seem to be applicable, whereas others dont.

The bottom line though, I reckon, is how devious the PWC is. Surely, if she thought that she was going to lose her monthly grant, then she may "encourage" your son along a route, which is more beneficial to her.

Call me cynical ... but I know from personal experience, that some PWC's do act this way to maximise their benefits ... and not always for the benefit of the child.
    :wave:
  • Donedoingdebt
    Options
    If your Son does an apprenticeship for which he's paid a wage, the PWC's child benefit should stop, in which case, your maintenance payments via the CSA should also stop.
    If he stays on in school for the 6th form (or whatever it's called these days!), or goes to college, the PWC will continue to receive child benefit & therefore you are still liable for CSA payments.
    If he then goes on to non advanced further education, usually college, then you will remain liable until his 19th birthday.
    If he goes onto advanced further education, usually uni, then your liability should cease on the first Monday in September of the year he starts uni.
    There is a comprehensive list of courses on the work & pensions website which will tell you which courses are advanced & which are non advanced.
    Donedoingdebt Lightbulb moment January 2000. Debt at highest approx £102,000. Debt now (October 2009 - absolutely fork all!!!):beer:
    CSA case closed on 02/09/10 :beer::beer:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport