bankruptcy in scotland question?

Options
i hope someone can help me if i take out a new bt phone line with a new 12 month contract now will i still be able to keep ther bt line if my bankruptcy date is after the new laws change in scotland on the 1st april 2008?
will i only need the bt line to be in credit when the bankruptcy goes through after the 1st april?

cheers,

Comments

• fermi
    fermi Posts: 40,546 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    We can be a bit short of people with experience of insolvency in Scotland at times.:confused:

If you were in England I would say that it wouldn't matter unless you were in serious arrears (i.e. not paid a bill by the due date).

While you wait and see if anyone else can answer definitely, there is a forum HERE with a Debt in Scotland section where issues to do with sequestration/bankruptcy are regularly discussed.

Some National Debtline advisor's are also experienced in this area (although it can be pot luck who you speak to).

http://www.nationaldebtline.co.uk/scotland/
    Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

IVA & fee charging DMP companies: Profits from misery, motivated ONLY by greed
  • Richard_S
    Richard_S Posts: 4,432 Forumite
    Options
    Hi msampson,

We took out a new BT Broadband contract and it was up to date when we were declared bankrupt, and it was never questioned. I know the laws are different in Scotland, but telephones are classed as a utility and one that would be expected to be kept up to date, and therefore not classed as a creditor.

Richard
  • msampson
    msampson Posts: 309 Forumite
    Options
    cheers for your help which i really aprectiate.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure