Advice for a discharged BR

Options
Hi
This is my first post so please forgive me if I ramble.
I was made BR in Oct 2005 and given early discharge in Apr 2006. I have just had a conversation with my Electricity supplier as our account shows a debt of nearly £700. We have always paid by prepayment meter and I have disputed the debt. However they say that there are payments missing on the account between May 2004 and May 2005 (neither me nor my hubby remember switching at this time). They have said that without us providing receipts for this period we are liable for the debt. :mad:
Regardless of whether I agree with the debt or not, does the fact that I was BR mean that I would be no longer liable for debts prior to my BR date. Or would the debt need to have been included in the BR papers?
Thanks in advance for your advice.

Comments

• Richard_S
    Richard_S Posts: 4,432 Forumite
    Options
    Hi cookie,

The debt will be included in your bankruptcy, and all you need to do is contact them, and give your bankruptcy reference number and the details of the O.R's office that dealt with your case.

That might not be sufficient to stop them insisting that your husband was still liable though; it depends on whose name the account was in.

Regards

Richard
  • cookie79_2
    Options
    Thanks Richard! I thought that might be the case, but the advisor at Eon said the debt must be included in the BR.

My hubby went BR at the same time as I did, so there would be little use in them chasing him.

I am still furious as I do not believe that I owe them anything on principle, but can take consolation in the fact that they cannot actually ask me for the money.:T

I only contacted them to switch to DD to save myself money!
  • fermi
    fermi Posts: 40,546 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    cookie79 wrote: »
    Thanks Richard! I thought that might be the case, but the advisor at Eon said the debt must be included in the BR.

That is rubbish. ALL qualifying debts are legally included in the BR whether they were originally listed or not.

Might also be worth a quick call/email to your OR to check/ask if they can write to EON regarding it.
    Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

IVA & fee charging DMP companies: Profits from misery, motivated ONLY by greed
  • Richard_S
    Richard_S Posts: 4,432 Forumite
    Options
    cookie79 wrote: »

My hubby went BR at the same time as I did, so there would be little use in them chasing him.

I am still furious as I do not believe that I owe them anything on principle, but can take consolation in the fact that they cannot actually ask me for the money.:T

I only contacted them to switch to DD to save myself money!

Hi cookie,

They're definitely wrong about that; that's why bankruptcies are advertised in the London Gazette and local newspaper; the reasoning being that any creditors not notified by the O.R have the chance to submit their claim if they see the notice in the media.

That also protects you, because they can't claim that they didn't know about it.

Regards

Richard
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family