We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

PDA

I have just purchased a Sat Nav from argos so i am now looking for a compatible PDA.

I have been told i need an ipaq hp 3800;3900;5000 or 2210 series. The cheapest i can find is the 2210 from comet online at £209 inc p&p.

Is this a good price or does anybody know of anywhere cheaper.

Cheers

Jackie :)

Comments

  • sablade
    sablade Posts: 399 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    what spec is sat nav?
    If you dont ask for discount you don't get discount
  • Hi

    It's this one

    Kane Car Pilot Premium Satellite Navigation System.
    Suitable for iPAQ 3800/3900/5000 and 2210 series. Advanced In-Car and portable satellite navigation system with detailed voice directions.Certified by HP, your assurance of quality. Works out of the box with easy-install wizard. Auto re-routing, look-up and get taken to special addresses such as petrol stations, car parks and hotels. Quality car mount kit. Comprehensive set of Navtech geodata, maps and points of interest. Includes 128Mb memory card. Uses superior latest generation GPS technology and class leading software. Custom adaptor for 2210 not included in box. Supplied free at kanegear.com.

    Cheers

    Jackie
  • abomb1969
    abomb1969 Posts: 440 Forumite
    From my investigations there is only one decent sat nav software package - tomtom. I would return the Kane if I were you. I find tomtom fantastic. POI's (points of interest ie lpg stations, speed cameras, etc) are free and readily available for tomtom and you will probably struggle with other brands. The 3d and map views are ace.

    If you PM me I have a brand new iPAQ with tomtom on it which I can do you for a cracking price to include a 256mb sd card (if you want to add other maps and POI's this is necessary). I picked this up in the cpw clearance sale to sell on ebay. You would only need to buy a mount (approx £15) and either a fixed gps or a bluetooth one. A bluetooth one will cost about £90ish. You can rgister tomtom on 3 pda's from one purchase, hence I can do a good price as I have a spare registration.
    This signature is not mine!
  • albalad
    albalad Posts: 1,194 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    Hi there jep
    I would agree with abomb1969 on the point that tomtom 3 software (which i use) is fantastic although i have been told that kane software is also quite good and if you already have the software, satellite receiver car mount all you would need is the pda !

    unfortunately i do not believe that abomb1969 should be using these boards to influence you're decision for his personal gain.
    If you PM me I have a brand new iPAQ with tomtom on it which I can do you for a cracking price to include a 256mb sd card (if you want to add other maps and POI's this is necessary). I picked this up in the cpw clearance sale to sell on ebay.
    "The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page."
    happy travels !!
    "No matter where you go, there you are."
    albalad
  • abomb1969
    abomb1969 Posts: 440 Forumite
    Err, how do you know I will be making a personal gain out of this transaction? Did I mention any figures? I made it clear I got the pda in a clearance offer which I found from the board, and was hoping to give something back to a fellow board member. Also I highlighted that the software can be registered 3 times for one purchase price and i was going to pass on the saving of doing this. Furthermore I bought the memory card dirt cheap and left a forum message indicating where to obtain it.

    I hope that sets the record straight. Any questions?
    This signature is not mine!
  • condyk
    condyk Posts: 282 Forumite
    Check out https://www.pocketgpsworld.com for all the advice and reviews you need on GPS systems.

    I also have Tom Tom 3 and it is awesome. I did a lot of research and it is definately the one to buy. Of course, other may be fine too. You can also check out Dealtime, Kelkoo and Pricerunner for the model of PDA you need. I have a IPaq 4150 and would recommend it 110% ... I bought my TomTom and satalite unit via ebay and there are now lots of places to get a 256mb card via Dealtime, Kelkoo or Pricerunner.

    The software you get should ideally be able to use the 'Speed Camera Databases' provided by https://www.pocketgpsworld.com as a POI as this is both a safety add on and can save yyou losing points on your licence. It is also free! Awesome addition ...
  • sablade
    sablade Posts: 399 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    i also have tomtom3 its the best
    If you dont ask for discount you don't get discount
  • RedOnRed
    RedOnRed Posts: 1,190 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    If you pay a bit extra and go for a 4150 with built in wi-fi, then setup a wireless network at home, you can sit in your back garden on a deck chair surfing this site while picking up your e-mails.
  • Claddie
    Claddie Posts: 19 Forumite
    Got a 2210 about 7 months ago

    Got it for £214 then so Im supprised that its still at that price.

    Very good bit o kit though
  • RedOnRed
    RedOnRed Posts: 1,190 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    I've heard the rubber bits on the sides of Ipaqs are prone to coming off. Anyone had that prob?
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.