We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Find something suitable for a reading at a funeral

Eeeek!  I've been asked to do a reading at the funeral of a relative and haven't a clue where to look to find something suitable.  

Needs to be secular, not too heavy....something like the '4 Weddings and a Funeral' eulogy by W H Auden.  Could even be funny as said relative was very 'off the wall'

Any ideas of suggestions would be very helpful.  Been trying to remember a couple that I've heard before:-

One included something about.... 'not leaving..just being in the room next door'

The other....'break not a flower'

Any literary lions/lionesses among you?

Thanks  :)
♥♥♥ Genius - 1% inspiration and 99% doing what your mother told you. ♥♥♥

Comments

  • milla
    milla Posts: 298 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Without the rain you wouldn't have the rainbows !

    I came into this world with nothing and I've still got most of it left!
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 25,429 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    I shouldn't have looked, I am very fimiliar with one of them and as usual it's made me :'(
    Hope you find something suitable Allexie
  • Allexie
    Allexie Posts: 3,460 Forumite
    Thank you everyone for your ideas...lots to choose from now and thanks especially Traf for finding the two that I half remembered....had a bit of a :'( myself reading through them all.

    Cheers
    ♥♥♥ Genius - 1% inspiration and 99% doing what your mother told you. ♥♥♥

  • Sarahsaver
    Sarahsaver Posts: 8,390 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    What about the songs? We started something of a family tradition when at age 15 I was asked what to sing at dad's funeral, mum being too distraught. I chose 'all things bright and beautiful' because he liked singing in church and I thought it would cheer people up.
    Chose something you know the relative liked, are there any monologues from sitcoms they liked?
    Hope it all goes well.
    Member no.1 of the 'I'm not in a clique' group :rotfl:
    I have done reading too!
    To avoid all evil, to do good,
    to purify the mind- that is the
    teaching of the Buddhas.
  • robnye
    robnye Posts: 5,411 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    michael jacksons - 'you are not alone' is a nice one
    smile --- it makes people wonder what you are up to.... ;) :cool:
  • ...............................I have put my clock back....... Kcolc ym
  • Allexie
    Allexie Posts: 3,460 Forumite
    Many thanks once again everyone, your input has been much appreciated

    Alex X
    ♥♥♥ Genius - 1% inspiration and 99% doing what your mother told you. ♥♥♥

This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.