We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Does anyone else make their own clothes

1…1617192122…126

Comments

  • lauradora
    lauradora Posts: 1,371
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    a top, just what i've been looking for in the shops for ages!
    On a mission
  • C1aire
    C1aire Posts: 273 Forumite
    Hope it turns out well, I'm sure after 3 weeks of fiddling with the sewing machine you'll not have any problems!

    Any chance of a pic when it's done? I love seeing other people's creations.
    Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realise that we cannot eat money.
  • Wooley
    Wooley Posts: 5 Forumite
    Hi,

    My first post.

    Yes I sew, not as much as I would like as time is short, and I am a machine knitter, same again. I have a 16 year old working on the final stages of her GCSE textiles tonight.

    Have you tried www.fabricland.co.uk

    There are shops in the south I have used, but I haven't tried the mail order, they are cheaper than a lot of fabric shops.

    I have just finished a Victorian corset, I've wanted to try for ages, and it's lovely.

    My advice to you would be;
    1. Look in the 'simple' or 'nice and easy' section of the pattern books.
    2. Buy the fabric they recommend.
    3. Start at the begining of the instructions and follow each step exactly.(Do not skip anything it will come back to haunt you.)
    4. Iron each seam as you go, it makes it so much easier.

    Try a couple of patterns like this and then, when you understand the rules and have succeeded, try breaking the rules and see what you get.
    Change a sleeve, widen a skirt, lengthen shorts.

    Enjoy your creation.
  • Wooley
    Wooley Posts: 5 Forumite
    Hi,

    I left Enfield in '74 aged 10. I went to St Micheals and my step sister to Lavender HIll
  • I have always loved sewing - used to make all my children's clothes; loads of trousers for a tall thin son who just grew upwards and not out, and I couldn't buy any to fit him. Also made all school uniforms, suits, ball gowns, shirts, but never underwear! Time is my issue now and the mess I have to leave when I go out to work does not please my hubby! However, I am mainly self taught, using pattern instructions plus what I absorbed through watching my mum. If there are no courses in your area why not befriend an older person who can sew to teach you? They would probably welcome the company and you would gain a lovely skill, and a friend :)
    The market is probably the cheapest place I have bought - never thought of buying on line so thanks for that. Happy sewing! :)
  • Just found this thread - brilliant. I love sewing but working full time gets in the way. I make clothes, quilt, do patchwork and applique and just love messing with fabric and thread. Have a HUGE fabric stash (it's helping to insulate the house!!) but never have exactly what I want when I come to make things..... Am into making bags at the moment, it's using up my small remanants and they are individual.
    For those of you wanting basic sewing knowledge try www.isew.co.uk, it's linked to Sewing World magazine and has good tips and ideas as well as free projects.
    I make my own clothes (when I have time) because they fit, last longer and are exactly what I want ie individual and not just run of the mill. I made a coat several years ago which I still wear - it's a classic style but down to my ankles and lined with fleece so classy looks but brilliant warmth - I think it cost about £20 to make as I bought the fabric from a tailors that was closing down.
    I don't do any sewing alterations/repairs for people after being paid 50p for altering a skirt! and when asked why not I tell them they can't afford my expertise.
    Keep sewing everyone.
  • HelenKA_2
    HelenKA_2 Posts: 234 Forumite
    luxor4t wrote: »
    HelenKA wrote: »
    Enfield market used to have a fabric stall, haven't been there for years though. And there was a shop in Edmonton in the shopping centre



    Thanks for the memories!
    Mrs F x

    Pearsons was still there last time we went but that was possibly 5 yrs ago now. I'll txt my friend and ask her. They've been doing a huge revamp of the town over the last years.

    I was born onto the willow estate stayed till the age of 6 (started at St Andrew's) then moved back in the first year of marriage for nearly two years again. Our first DD was born at Chase Farm.

    Hope we don't get shot for being off topic so I'll just add......

    couple of Saturdays ago I got a dress length of pretty sprigged brushed polycotton in the charity shop. I chopped it, gathered it and sewed each piece on to a vest. Dresses made for youngest 3 DD's guess how much



    £2

    Even Primark can't beat that! :rotfl:
  • Lily-Lu
    Lily-Lu Posts: 428
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    lauradora wrote: »
    Well i've been messing about with my new sewing machine for about three weeks now and tonight i'm having a go at knocing my first pattern together. wish me luck!
    Good luck with that. I'm sure it'll be fine:D

    After buying myself a machine just before Christmas, and finally working out how to thread it (can't believe that even with instructions it took me a few days:o ), I've been making a few very simple pet sleeping bags. The stitching isn't even straight, but they've turned out OK and are just about usable:rotfl:
    It's given me a bit of practice though, so I'm hoping to get a simple pattern for some curtains for the kitchen - my first real project. And I'm really looking forward to getting started:D

    Edited to add - thanks to all you seasoned sewers for posting and sharing tips and resources. They're much appreciated.
  • my first ever post!
    i have enjoyed reading this thread, i agree with lots of the experienced sewers on here, people are hard to please and its hard to make a living wage. i would also like to encourage those new to sewing -its so worth it. its delicious having a well -fitting, unique garment or even better a wardrobe full of such delights. i recommend sewing with a plan, or SWAP as many sages call it. you can use seasonal or transitional themes and build your stash into real clothes that fit and flatter. its exciting and rewarding.

    i have posted to ask if anyone has a current coupon code for Abakhan's?:money:

    i went along to check it out and found nearly £40 worth in my basket once the delivery and VAT was counted. i could use a discount. projects agreed so far this year? one wedding dress, two bridesmaids, one prom and an assortment of saucy garters.and my own SWAP...
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I am back into sewing after a very long break. Sewed my first skirt at 11 and went on from there. I bought myself an overlocker to go with the sewing machine and both machines are standing on my desk, which is fitted side to side across the study and the laptop is temporarily next to them every morning, for an hour or so. I have re-vamped all my shelves and bought quite a few see-through, inexpensive plastic boxes from lakeland and a lovely big sewing box from ebay.

    I decided to get the room prepared first because I am quite messy when I am crafting and so far it is working. I spent quite a while learning the overlock basics on scraps and threaded and re-threaded. It was frustrating at first but 4 thread overlock is now going well. I have a lot to learn about the overlock but a bit at a time and I especially want to learn the cover stitch

    I treated myself to a dressform, which I have padded to my body double and dressed in knickers and a vest and I have made a cover and I used the form yesterday, when I made myself a nightie, the first garment. I used the overlocker and the sewing machine and it was made from scratch in 6 hours. I am very pleased with it. Last night I started a frilly apron using 280" of home made bias binding in a contrast colour

    Things have changed a lot and there are some really useful gadgets out there ie I bought a bias binding maker from jaycotts. I just pulled it along the flat tape following it with a hot iron and it was like magic. Another useful thing was a roll of tracing material as I am going to be making children`s clothes and want to re-use patterns in different sizes

    I have a stash of material in now. Some from abroad, some from abakhan and others from internet shops and ebay. I set myself up with a lot of patterns, even ones for cycling gear and I have got samples of the right fabrics on the way. I got lots of threads from empress mills

    Thats it in a nutshell and I have got to say that the overlocker is the thing that is opening sewing up for me again. It has got to be 15 years since I made a garment, although I have made the dreaded curtains. I used to make everything in the old days but the overlocker is what has brought me back because the finish is so good

    I am hoping that the next project is going to be a track suitfor my dh from sweatshirt fabric that I won on ebay and probably baby trouser bottoms with the leftovers
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.