Are searches needed??

Hi all,
Just buying a RTB council house for £30,000. Mortgages on this construction type are a joke so raised cash with a bank loan .
Just got quote from solicitor for conveyancing and there are some "optional" extras.
Do I need local search, water and drainage search,enviromental search etc etc. Total extra for searches is £314.
What exactly are they searching for?
To be honest the house is a bargain at 30k and I cannot think of any reason why I would not buy it. The house is in the middle of a council estate not in a quiet suburb so plans to build, erm anything, nearby would be fine be me as it could only be an improvement.
I understand that if there are plans to demolish the house I get paid out market value, so again fine by me.
Please help
Paul
On the internet you can be anything you want.It`s strange so many people choose to be rude and stupid.

Comments

• shykins
    shykins Posts: 2,758 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    if u are having a mortgage of any type then the building society will insist on the searches being made.. u will need to check with the lender as its a bank loan whether that is the case with them

basically the searches will reveal what has happened in the area and what might happen.. u can actually do this yourself if u go to the local council.. the environmental search will reveal if there are mines etc or flood plains in the area (more than this but thats the basics).. again u could look this up yourself

bascially i would say that if your lender does not require them and u are completely happy u know the area then no u dont need them

Hope this helps
    When you know better you do better

Atkins since 2004 - 8 stone loss maintaining
  • shykins
    shykins Posts: 2,758 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    forgot to say i am buying a nother place myself to rent out and i am not bothering with the expense of searches... we dont need a mortgage and i am happy with the area
    When you know better you do better

Atkins since 2004 - 8 stone loss maintaining
  • alared
    alared Posts: 4,029 Forumite
    If you don`t have a mortgage you don`t need a search.
    It`s just a good excuse for your local authority to rip you off for about £120.
    A search is only valid for about three months anyway.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure