Advice on Declaring BK outside the UK

Options
Hey Guys

Well I can't put this off any more, i've been living in the US for over a year now and although i'm doing ok here financially my UK debts will be impossible for me to pay with the Exchange Rate etc, ( I owe in excess of 20k ).
I am thinking as I won't be returning to the UK for a long time to live if ever I am going to declare bankruptcy and stop the letters etc coming to my mums house back home, I know there are companies that can take care of it for you without you having to return home to the UK ( Myvesta is one I believe ) does anyone have any experience with this, what it entails, the costs etc.
Are there any ramifications for me outside the UK financially or otherwise after declaring Bankruptcy, could it affect my Permanent Resident Status over here in the US ? Could my creditors pursue me for the debts here while I am in the process of declaring myself bankrupt.
I am getting very close to putting the wheels in motion on this, so anyones help / advice / experience would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Comments

• fiveyearplan
    fiveyearplan Posts: 10,143 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi MartyFarty. Why don't you ring one of the debt charities (CCCS or NAtional Debtline) for more information. If you do decide to go BR you will be asked if you have taken professional advice. I don't know anything about Myvesta but I'm sure someone else will come along who has.

Regarding permanent resident status I'm not sure. Why don't you contact US Immigration and ask what their policies are on the subject. Give them a false name or just ask hypothetically.

HAve you made any payments in the past year?

:j :j

• tigerfeet2006
    tigerfeet2006 Posts: 14,030 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi MF,

Check out this thread here the poster may be able to answer some of your questions.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=544494
    BSCno.87
    The only stupid question is an unasked one
    Loving life as a Kernow Hippy
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business