Where to put small savings?

Options
Right so I'm going on a bit of a saving spree this year (as aposed the spending one I had last year :rolleyes:) and as a newbie to all things banks and savings (yea well I'm 18 what did you expect lol) what's the best thing to do with just mediocore savings? I want to be able to go to it when I need to (eg I'm saving for a holiday in July) and I won't be putting away like £50 a time or anything! It's most likely to be a fraction of my wages for the week, so anything from £10 to £30 quid a week plus my extras that I'm hoping to make with the help of ideas on here. Whats the best thing to do? Just open a normal bank account the like the one I have and just not take the card out with me or is there a special savings account I know nothing about that would be better?
Thanks in advance :D
Charlie xx

Comments

• Gemmzie
    Gemmzie Posts: 14,876 Forumite
    Options
    Halifax Web Saver is what I use, around 5% I think, you can link it to a current account with them too.

Their Web Saver Extra pays 6% but only allows one withdrawal a year if you need the incentive not to spend it.
    No longer using this account for new posts from 2013
  • mummytofour
    mummytofour Posts: 2,636 Forumite
    Options
    I have an ING account with 10 accounts all for different things, clothes holidays, birthdays and so on. It is linked to my main bank account.
    Debt free and plan on staying that way!!!!
  • debrag
    debrag Posts: 3,426 Forumite
    Options
    Nationwide have a savings account you can move money in & out of whenever you want.
  • misspixierocktastic
    Options
    I have a cahoot online one
    but i cant comment on it because i havent had any money to put into it yet :-)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure