Do I need to get a buy to let mortgage?

Options
Hi,

this is my first posting so please be patient if I don't get it right!

I am receiving some money in a divorce settlement, plus a house divided into three flats, a three bedroomed house all with tenants in situ and a four bedroomed house that is my primary residence. Up until April of this year I had tenants in the four bedroomed house with permission of the mortgage company.

I want to use the money to but another property and my daughter who is getting married soon will live there with her husband but paying me rent. They cannot afford to get a mortgage above £80,000 as they are both on low income. Eventually all the property will be her's so she is happy to be paying me rent rather than an independant landlord!

As it is a relative that will be living there do I have to get a buy to let mortgage please?

Also any advice on the best deals on the market at the moment would be very much appreciated!

Thanks.

Comments

• herbiesjp
    herbiesjp Posts: 8,499 Forumite
    Options
    There are a few options available - but would need a lot more detail
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • Fairdo_2
    Fairdo_2 Posts: 442 Forumite
    Options
    Some Lenders would not entertain you doing a Buy To Let for a relative, so you would have to get some serious research done.

AS herbiesjp says, you may have several options, depending on your overall circumstances and I think the information you would have to give to look at all the options would be too much and too private for the thread, so I'd suggest you speak to a good Mortgage Adviser and look at options.

One is Buy To Let with a Lender that would allow a relative to be a tenant. Another option is a Lender who would allow you to take a Mortgage for a "Dependent Relative" C&G used to be very good for this. However, you would need to be able to afford the mortgage in your name on that, along with any other commitments you have. This is why you should give a broker the full picture and let them do the research.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure