Child Maintenance

Options
Hi everyone.

I have a couple of questions, which may have proper answers, but may also be based on opinions, all of which will be welcome.

My 18 year old daughter leaves education later this year, when should I stop paying maintenance, is my ex-wife entitled to it until my daughter is no longer entitled to Child Benefit? If so, generally when is that, is Child Benefit stopped once her education ends, or the September after?

Please note, I am a good ex-husband, we have a private financial agreement, the money I pay her has increased with inflation and pay rises and did not decrease when my eldest son joined the army or when I had a child with my current wife.

Grateful of your help/opinions
£110,000 mortgage
£15,000 loan
£1,400 overdraft now £1,100
As at December 2007
£310 saved in January currently £210

Comments

• kelloggs36
    kelloggs36 Posts: 7,710 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Child Benefit is usually in payment until the first Monday in September following leaving school. However, if the child gets a job for more than 24 hours per week, it should cease immediately. Child support is linked to this.
  • Pleasemakemerich
    Options
    kelloggs36 wrote: »
    Child Benefit is usually in payment until the first Monday in September following leaving school. However, if the child gets a job for more than 24 hours per week, it should cease immediately. Child support is linked to this.

That was one of the reasons for my question, the CSA are not involved in my case, therefore I want to make sure my ex gets what she is entitled too and that I don't pay more than I need to.
    £110,000 mortgage
    £15,000 loan
    £1,400 overdraft now £1,100
    As at December 2007
    £310 saved in January currently £210
  • kelloggs36
    kelloggs36 Posts: 7,710 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    If the CSA are not involved and there is no court order, it is entirely up to you to decide what you want to to - but your ex could approach the CSA if she wanted to make sure that payments continue up to the last minute possible. It depends on your relationship really.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure