MBNA Min payment

Options
I know this was being discussed last week, but dont remember seeing an answer.

MBNA has changed its min payment to 5%, and the £5 minimum (when on 0%) has gone - but only to £10 minimum.

just thought I would let people knoe for definite.
No Longer works for MBNA as of August 2010 - redundancy money will be nice though.

Proud to be a Friend of Niddy.
no idea what my nerdnumber is - i am now officially nerd 229, no idea on my debt free date

Comments

• Bismarck
    Bismarck Posts: 2,598 Forumite
    Options
    so for anyone on a 0% deal that's a £10 minimum payment...when would the 5% part strike? sorry if I'm being dumb, it's been a long day!
    For what I've done...I start again...And whatever pain may come ...Today this ends... I'm forgiving what I've done -AF since June 2007
  • oscar52
    oscar52 Posts: 2,272 Forumite
    Options
    yes, rather than the old £5 min payment, its now ten, the 5% would come into effect after the promo period, usually (with MBNA) after 9 months or 12 months if a virgin card (also issued by MBNA).
    No Longer works for MBNA as of August 2010 - redundancy money will be nice though.

no idea what my nerdnumber is - i am now officially nerd 229, no idea on my debt free date
  • Gemmzie
    Gemmzie Posts: 14,876 Forumite
    Options
    That's nice of them isn't it :rolleyes:
    No longer using this account for new posts from 2013
  • kizzykizzywizzy
    Options
    cor that's a bit steep:eek: those with MBNA will have to make sure you swap to another card before the 0% ends.
    Just got rid of Virgin MBNA card as 0% ended, only moved though - unfortunately not cleared yet........
    Comping again - wins so far : 2 V festival tix, 2 NFL tix, 6 bottles of wine, personalised hand soap, Aussie miracle conditioner :beer:

Married my best friend 15/4/16 :)
  • oscar52
    Options
    Possibly is a bit steep, but other lenders have or are following suit by increasing minimum payments.

Personally, i would love to move some of mine onto 0%, but no one wants to know, and my credit file is clear, with the exception of 1 or 2 missed/late payments to CC's that most people have anyway.

• moneydesperate_x
    Options
    Dont get me started on MBNA......

They recently tried to contact me to 'talk through my Credit Card' (they have never done this before and when i call them they try and sell me insurance etc) but as they called my mobile and the number was withheld i didnt answer it. A week later a letter comes through to say they have reduced my credit limit as they couldnt contact me! I ignored this aswell.
    Then when my payment was 12 hours late last month they charged me £12 and reduced my credit limit even more, leaving it in £10 credit which meant the late fee took me over my credit limit so they then charged me another £12!!!!!
    They will be receiving my DMP in the post in the next week!
    Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day, teach him how to fish and you will feed him for a lifetime

Finally dealing with my whopping debt!
  • Bismarck
    Options
    "Possibly is a bit steep, but other lenders have or are following suit by increasing minimum payments."

what kind of bad news is there coming re other cards....I'm trying to sort out a minefield and the last thing I need is a doubling of minimum repayments!

I thought the CC companies liked us being in debt forever....hence the 2.25%.....
    For what I've done...I start again...And whatever pain may come ...Today this ends... I'm forgiving what I've done -AF since June 2007
  • boredofbeingathome
    Options
    MBNA, are users and you have to play them at their own game. they tried some tactics with us after the 0% deal ended, we had two cards with them,one standard mbna and the other was a virgin one. Cleared them both fortunately, but on the virgin one i thought i had cleared off the debt, but they added interest onto the balance. i didnt pay that month and i was charged it took me two phonecalls and letters to get me my money back and the interest, which they refunded as a gesture of good will. They had other dealings with my husband phonecalls etc when he was late. the cards were good on 0% but they also have a tactic of hiking up interest rates after the deal then you are paying less off and also the latest of paying 5% min- so the only thing i can say is use them for short term then transfer if you can.
    Blackadder: Am I jumping the gun, Baldrick, or are the words 'I have a cunning plan' marching with ill-deserved confidence in the direction of this conversation?
    Still lurking around with a hope of some salvation:cool:
  • Bismarck
    Options
    thanks for that.....it's just they're so different to the other cards...in some ways, that's useful with sometimes low payments etc but it seems to go from a good deal to a bad one really quickly whereas other cards just aren't so good when a deal ends...

bigger concern really is the spread of higher monthly repayments when you're trying to snowball your debt repayments...
  • oscar52
    Options
    Bismarck wrote: »
    "Possibly is a bit steep, but other lenders have or are following suit by increasing minimum payments."

what kind of bad news is there coming re other cards....I'm trying to sort out a minefield and the last thing I need is a doubling of minimum repayments!

I thought the CC companies liked us being in debt forever....hence the 2.25%.....

They did, it earned them lots of interest, but along came six letters of the alphabet - DMP and IVA. Then there are those people that just dont bother paying them at all.

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure