Do mortgage lenders find out how much I owe?

Options
I am about to apply for my first mortgage and I was wondering if mortgage lenders can find out how much I owe or what the monthly payments I make are.

The reason I ask is that a family member used my credit card to buy her car (£5000) and although it is officially my debt, it is not something I have to pay back as she is making the monthly payments.

I am just worried that this may mean the mortgage people thinking I already have too much debt and they won't lend me what I need.

Comments

• mummytofour
    mummytofour Posts: 2,636 Forumite
    Options
    Yes they will find out, it will show up on your credit report.
    Debt free and plan on staying that way!!!!
  • herbiesjp
    herbiesjp Posts: 8,499 Forumite
    Options
    As it is in your name it will be taken into account when agreeing a mortgage for you. Depending on your situation however, it may make little or no difference at all.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • simmo77
    simmo77 Posts: 8 Forumite
    Options
    thanks for the info, guess I'll just have to keep my fingers crossed.
  • dibbs26
    dibbs26 Posts: 90 Forumite
    Options
    I have applied for mortgages in the past and not mentioned my visa cards. They never even found out...don't worry.......silence best form of defence !!!
  • Xbigman
    Xbigman Posts: 3,884 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    dibbs26 wrote:
    I have applied for mortgages in the past and not mentioned my visa cards. They never even found out...don't worry.......silence best form of defence !!!

This is very dangerous. If you fill in a mortgage application and leave off some debts they will cancel the mortgage if you are caught. You can also incur hefty charges.
    Regards

X
    Xbigman's guide to a happy life.

Eat properly
    Sleep properly
    Save some money
  • Debt_Free_Chick
    Debt_Free_Chick Posts: 13,276 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    dibbs26 wrote:

It doesn't matter whether you mention them or not - they will see exactly ALL the lines of credit (debt) you have when they search your credit record.

And if you've not disclosed them on the application form they will also see that you've lied, as Xbigman states.

You are a silly-billy :eek: :)
    Warning ..... I'm a peri-menopausal axe-wielding maniac ;)
  • Fairdo_2
    Fairdo_2 Posts: 442 Forumite
    Options
    As DFC states, you are best putting it in.

However, some Lenders actually ignore credit card debt, so that might help your situation.

Accord Mortgages ignore credit card and loan debt altogether.
    Northern Rock ignore credit card debt only.

Therefore, get a Mortgage Broker, disclose it all and get the right Lender for your circumstances.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • dibbs26
    dibbs26 Posts: 90 Forumite
    Options
    It doesn't matter whether you mention them or not - they will see exactly ALL the lines of credit (debt) you have when they search your credit record.

And if you've not disclosed them on the application form they will also see that you've lied, as Xbigman states.

You are a silly-billy :eek: :)

Sorry 'not a silly billy' just being realistic. At the end of the day the onus is on the borrower to ensure they can afford the repayments, as is always mentioned when borrowing. Most of the time the more so called 'debt' you have on file the more you can obtain. Somehow I think by not mentioning a credit card debt (i.e. 2k approx for e.g.) is highly unlikely to get a mortgage refused.
    If I had of mentioned it they would have probably put it on the mortgage andf then I would be paying a lot more interest.
    As Martin says ' its all about being a savvy customer'.
  • Fairdo_2
    Fairdo_2 Posts: 442 Forumite
    Options
    Unfortunately, I would agree with DFC here, apart from calling someone a silly billy.

Deliberate non-disclosure is Fraud and with some Lenders, non-disclosure can amount to them refusing a mortgage. Whether a small credit card balance or large undisclosed loan.

They are cynical beggars and genuine oversights can make it hard to rescue a case, as some Lenders will see non-disclosure of a small amount enough to consider that you will lie about other bigger things. Therefore, they can be at liberty to refuse a loan outright.

Sounds a bit extreme, but it is a possibility.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
  • Debt_Free_Chick
    Debt_Free_Chick Posts: 13,276 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    dibbs26 wrote:
    Sorry 'not a silly billy' just being realistic. At the end of the day the onus is on the borrower to ensure they can afford the repayments, as is always mentioned when borrowing. Most of the time the more so called 'debt' you have on file the more you can obtain. Somehow I think by not mentioning a credit card debt (i.e. 2k approx for e.g.) is highly unlikely to get a mortgage refused.
    If I had of mentioned it they would have probably put it on the mortgage andf then I would be paying a lot more interest.
    As Martin says ' its all about being a savvy customer'.

But you signed a declaration on the Application Form which stated (something like) "I declare that the information on this form is complete & true".

And it's not as simple as borrowers ensuring that they have the means to pay. For goodness sake, look at the Debt-Free Wannabe board. Lenders have a duty to act responsibly too and, in general, they do.

I used the term "silly-billy" as a cheeky, jokey description .... but the reality is far more insulting. I'm sure you are in no doubt as to what I mean so I don't need to stoop so low as to spell it out.

Lying on a mortgage application form is mortgage fraud. People have gone to prison for it.

You might want to risk it - it's up to you - but for the benefit of other readers, it should be made clear that if you knowingly falsify information you provide on a mortgage application fraud, you are at risk of prosecution.

I think Martin should respond to your analogy with that of a Savvy Customer.

Regards
    Warning ..... I'm a peri-menopausal axe-wielding maniac ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure