I've had enough of the Child "Support" Agency!!!

Options
In July 07 I phoned the CSA because I wasn't receiving any payments. They told me it was because xh wasn't working. I told them that he was.

Between July and December 07 and telephoned every 2/3 weeks and asked what progress was being made on my claim. Each time they said they weren't aware that xh was working so I informed them that he was. They said every time they would perform a "trace" with the Inland Revenue but whenever I called them up again, they denied knowledge of me telling them he is employed.

Anyway, we get to mid-December 07 and through a little investigative work, I discover where xh works so I immediately call the CSA. (xh keeps telling me he won't pay maintenance which is why I am so persistant and he refuses to have contact with his daughter).

I am then told that maintenance payments will begin from that date in mid-December!

I was advised by a CSA advisor to write a letter of complaint (which I have done) stressing that I informed them my xh was employed and I have contacted them on MANY occasions to tell them so.

Two days later, I get a phone call from the complaints department, implying that I am lying! She claimed that I DID NOT inform them between July and Dec that xh was working because none of the advisors I spoke to recorded it.

I am fuming! If this is the case, xh has gotten away without paying maintenance, estimated at around £1000.

An investigation is currently taking place.

But where do I stand?

Any advice would be most welcome

Ana
x

Comments

• haylibo
    haylibo Posts: 1,004 Forumite
    Options
    Have no experience of this but could you get a copy of your phone bill and highlight the relevant calls? Surely you wouldn't phone just to chat about the weather.

Hayles
  • wifeforlife
    wifeforlife Posts: 2,734 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi there

Sorry to hear all this, I having bother with this crowd too at the minute.

If it was me, I'd get a copy of my itemised billing, whether it was through my landline or mobile and include it as evidence that I was in contact as it would show the date, time and length of call to them on so many previous occaisions.

Also I wouldnt bother replying to whoever the minion is corresponding with you, I would direct my mail and telephone calls to the office manager and would be firm yet polite in all my dealings.

Be persistent, and dont lie down and let them or your X away with it.

Goodluck

Cate
  • Strapped
    Strapped Posts: 8,158 Forumite
    Options
    Each time they said they weren't aware that xh was working so I informed them that he was. They said every time they would perform a "trace" with the Inland Revenue but whenever I called them up again, they denied knowledge of me telling them he is employed.

Did you not think to put it in writing? Recorded delivery preferably? If someone kept denying that I had said something, for 5 months, I think I may have done so.

Anyway, lesson learnt so all I would try now is to get your MP on the case. :confused:
    They deem him their worst enemy who tells them the truth. -- Plato
  • BipolarDisaster
    Options
    Good point Strapped - I should have looking back in hindsight.

Are MPs reliable and supportive with CSA cases?

Also, the CSA say they have records of me actually making the phone calls - they say that ALL of them were just me asking for progress ... do they train their advisors?? (anyway, I really should have written to them. My fault).

Thanks for the replies,
    Ana
  • enemes
    enemes Posts: 909 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Go here http://www.csa.gov.uk/en/case/complaints.asp Look for the office you deal with and send them an email from there ... they are more like;ly to act upon emails than letters, I was told that by my CRO ( Complaints Resolution Officer)

They have ten working days to get back to you. Obviously, those ten days will come and go, and you'll have heard nothing.

Armed with a copy of that email, go to your MP ... I know, it sounds drastic, but I was pleasantly suprised by the experience. ( You won't actaully see your MP, but will deal with his/her secretary) and they have a hotline right throught o the CSA.

I went down that route, and I now get a weekly call form my CRO, telling me everything that is going on ... to be honest, it is the best customer services I have ever had!

Good Luck with it ...
    :wave:
  • busiscoming2
    Options
    I always write a letter of complaint, at least you get a reply and the case limps along a little more. My case has been ongoing for nearly 12 years now and payments made by my ex have been sporadic cos hes self employed he can evade as much as he likes or so it seems. They have very little power!!
  • BipolarDisaster
    Options
    Thanks everyone :-)

I wrote an email of complaint last week and have received 3 phone calls from the complaints department since. They're doing everything they can and are offering me compensation based on the awarded assessment when it's completed this week.

Hooray for small victories :-)
  • BipolarDisaster
    Options
    A NEW PROBLEM!!!!

The CSA complaints officer that I'm assigned to is a real trooper so finally they're being the good guys.

They've FINALLY found evidence that I informed them that exh was working so now the claim will be backdated to july.

Today the complaints officer telephoned exh's employer as they're being tardy with getting back to her with wage details.

This is where it all goes very, well, strange ...

The employers say that xh was only employed there for ONE WEEK! So I decided to phone xh's place of work and a member of staff confirmed that he was in the office!

What on earth is going on? I know for a FACT that xh has been working there since July so I really don't understand as to why they are lying, especially as I've proved he is still working there. It makes me wonder if exh is working cash-in-hand.

I've informed the complaints officer and its now in her hands.

Anybody any ideas as to what will happen next? Will his employer (a HUGE American company) get into trouble for this?

Ana
  • kelloggs36
    kelloggs36 Posts: 7,703 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    They could if it can be proven that they have lied. Personally if I were to ring an employer, I would first ask to speak with the NRP personally and then hang up! That would prove that they worked there and then when I ring the employer and if they say that they don't work there, I would say 'well that's odd, because I was put through to him a minute ago'. Perhaps you could sow the seed of idea? If not, then you should ask for the case to be referred to the Criminal Compliance Team for them to perhaps visit the employer - they have the right of inspection and the employer could be in big trouble if the CSA prove they have lied.
  • BipolarDisaster
    Options
    Thanks kelloggs :-)

Is the Criminal Compliance Team an internal department of the CSA or something external?

(I'm a bit clueless and still finding my way round the CSA protocol!)

Ana
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport