🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Bankrupt need help.

Options
Hi everyone.

Didnt know where to put this, so please move if needed, sorry.

We became bankrupt in Dec 07 with debts of £27'000.

We are currently recieving Incapacity benefit due to my wifes ill mental health. She has been to see the DSS doctor and been 'signed off' for 12 months.

We are council tenants with no assests or valuable belongings, just our car, valued at £500.

I wrote to the official reciever (as advised) to appeal to keep my car as it is needed desperatley to get about our daily life.

This appeal has just been turned down. But i have been offered a chance to get a third party to make an offer for the car.

Its fully insured, 5 months left on tax & MOT, and completley roadworthy.

My son is 19 and at university, he lives with us at home, could he make an offer ? And if so how much do you suggest offering ?

Weve been using this site for sourcing advice on bankruptcy, many thanks for all the informative help weve found here.

Keep up the good work :)

Comments

• kate1976
    kate1976 Posts: 2,021 Forumite
    Options
    Kate
    xxx
    :Axxx
    "A bank is a place where they lend you an umbrella in fair weather
    and ask for it back when it begins to rain."

Stay safe, stay sane, stay smiley!
  • Addicted2Chocolate
    Options
    Sorry your appeal has been turned down. Any 3rd party can make an offer, your son, friend or family. They can offer anything, but for a £500 car I woudl suggest a starting offer £100. This should be considered a reasonable offer, as if they instructed agents to collect vehicle and sell at auction, the costs would likely exceed the amount raised at auction, meaning there would be nil benefit for bankruptcy estate or may even incurr a debt balance.
    You can offer less if you like but make it clear why the offfer is low: ie son at uni with low income.
  • bankrupt07
    Options
    Sorry your appeal has been turned down. Any 3rd party can make an offer, your son, friend or family. They can offer anything, but for a £500 car I woudl suggest a starting offer £100. This should be considered a reasonable offer, as if they instructed agents to collect vehicle and sell at auction, the costs would likely exceed the amount raised at auction, meaning there would be nil benefit for bankruptcy estate or may even incurr a debt balance.
    You can offer less if you like but make it clear why the offfer is low: ie son at uni with low income.

Many thanks, if my offer isnt accepted will they allow me to make an increased offer do you think ?
  • bankrupt07
    Options
    Could a MOD please move this to the wnnabedebtfree forum, many thanks, sorry for not spotting it earlier.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 6 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport