Relying on heritance to get out of debt.

Options
DH & I have been struggling to get back in the black. We have 3 kids and I've recently gone back to work part time to get more money. My money does not seem to be covering childcare costs, and seem to be worse off thanever...

This is awful but stark truth is I am due some inheritance once my Grandma "pops off". But who know when this will happen, and how much. I will get a third of value of her property.... What do you guys think about keeping on struggling until she goes...?

Comments

• January20
    January20 Posts: 3,769 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    I think money you haven't inherited yet is not your money - especially when the person you expect to leave it to you is still alive!

Frankly, I'm a little disturbed by your comment of " ... when my Grandma pops off. But who knows when this will happen". Don't you love your Grandma and want her to be here for a long time yet?
    LBM: August 2006 £12,568.49 - DFD 22nd March 2012
    "The road to DF is long and bumpy" GreenSaints
  • dudleyboy
    dudleyboy Posts: 765 Forumite
    Options
    Nice. .
  • tallyhoh
    tallyhoh Posts: 2,305 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Wow, that's not realistic. As I have POA over a relatives affairs I had the sad duty to inform his children that the house had been remortgaged & there was no inheritance (had to suck a sour lemon after to wipe the grin off my face)

It would be best if you made alternative arrangements.
    Tallyhoh! Stopped Smoking October 2000. Saved £29382.50 so far!
  • Murtle
    Murtle Posts: 4,154 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    What an awfu thing to say about your Grandma

I also think you are your OH should work damn hard to pay off your own debts.
  • sweepster
    sweepster Posts: 448 Forumite
    Options
    To be honest i was quite shocked by this post i cant believe ppl actually rely on inheritance our families owe us nothing.
    sweepyxx
    Aim to be mortgage free by 2017
    MFW 2016 overpayments here we go again £10000
    :T:T:T:T:T
  • Toto
    Toto Posts: 6,680 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I had to step away from this first time because I really didn't know what to say. But I do want to point out that people are so very much more precious than any amount of debt or any possesion. When they are gone they are gone forever, for gods sake stop seeing your grandmother as a cash machine, enjoy your time with her and make precious memories. I would give up everything I own for one more day with my Nan and Mum and I'm sure that most people who have lost people they love would say the same.

Find your own way out of debt.
    :A
    :A
    "Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid" - Albert Einstein
  • debrag
    debrag Posts: 3,426 Forumite
    Options
    It is a horrible thing to say & not realistic.

is your gran fit & well? will she need to go into care? my gran did so the house was sold. Why are you getting a 1/3? surely any money would be split equally between her kids, then it goes to the gran kids. I got £2k when my mum kept and gave me £1km last year for a holiday & the other this year for a holiday.

I feel the only way I'll get a house if when me & my sister sell my parents house & split the cost. That is not 100% so I'm making sure I can do it without relying on that.

To think I lost my Gran Feb 13 2007 aged 93 and my Nan isn't doing too well now at aged 95
  • penguin83
    penguin83 Posts: 4,817 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Agree with the other posters comments but also dont forget - God forbid but she may need extra help as she gets older and need a care home. This would swallow up most of her money as I am presuming she has savings and therefore would have to pay for her own care.
    Pay Debt by Xmas 16 - 0/12000
    There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man.
  • doodledo_2
    doodledo_2 Posts: 4,676 Forumite
    Options
    Toto wrote: »
    I had to step away from this first time because I really didn't know what to say. But I do want to point out that people are so very much more precious than any amount of debt or any possesion. When they are gone they are gone forever, for gods sake stop seeing your grandmother as a cash machine, enjoy your time with her and make precious memories. I would give up everything I own for one more day with my Nan and Mum and I'm sure that most people who have lost people they love would say the same.

Well said Toto you sum up exactly how I feel.:T

When I lost my nan my inheritence helped my buy my house but I would live in a cardboard box if it meant I could have my nan back in my life.
    Proud to be dealing with my debts - DFW No: 712

03/09/09 - DEBT FREE AT LAST :D
    Racing Hypno to Save - £10/£5000
  • Toto wrote: »

I have to say that i couldnt have put it better myself.

It made me sick to my stomach reading that :mad: , especially as i nearly lost my gran at christmas.
    Debt Now~Total-£14,366.72~CC-£1,600.00~Sofa-£1,349.01~Loan-£11,417.71
    :eek:Debt@Oct 12~Total £15,674.60~CC-£1,636.40~Sofa-£1,648.77~Loan-£12,389.43:eek:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure