Should I balance transfer?

Options
Hi Folks,
I posted this on the credit card forum earlier and basically the only reply was someone teling me I'm overspending! Tell me something I don't know. I've been a DFW since May and have already reduced debts by a fair bit. I'm trying to get my credit card rates down so I can pay the debt off quicker. MBNA is the last thorn in my side, all the rest are fairly low rates.

rating_1.gif

icon1.gifShould I balance transfer?
At the moment I have £4500 on my MBNA card at 19.9%. I also have an Egg card credit limit £6900 with a balance of £5100 at 5.9% life of balance. They are currently offering me a balance transfer of 1.9% until August, which means I could transfer about £1600 or a little more to my Egg card. I have tried applying for another card with a LOB but was declined. Would it be worth doing this? Also I have two loans which finish in May and June which will free up just under £400 which I can then throw at the cards. Any advice would be gratefully received.

user_online.gif [EMAIL="abuse@moneysavingexpert.com?subject=Reporting post http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.html?p=7714617"]report.gif[/EMAIL]

Comments

• Mozette
    Mozette Posts: 2,247 Forumite
    Options
    Definitely BT, assume you've checked you'll still get the good rate of course.
  • stapeley
    stapeley Posts: 2,315 Forumite
    Options
    Seems ok , but be sure to cut up the card after you transfer .
  • CLAPTON
    CLAPTON Posts: 41,865 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    any BT fees payable?

when you have both the LOB and the 1.9% which is is paid off with your monthly payment?

whats the APR after the 1.9% deal runs out?
  • roomontheend
    Options
    IF you balance transfer even with the 3% fee it's still going to be better than the 19% you are currently pay. I would also set up a reminder to email yourself when it is about to finish. Best of luck
    Total debt Feb 2012 = £54354.11 😳
    😁Debt Free and you can do it too
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family