Id like to start again ... if You'll have me new SOA enclosed ! ....

Options
Ok i did post an soa a good while ago and have to say fell off the wagon big time! weve moved house and wages and things have changed but we constantly feel we are treading water and its getting to the point were we cant get anything done etc .. so id love some tips advice etc for our New Start for 2008 ...

Rent Monthly = £384.00
council tax Mnthly = £130.00
Shopping Monthly = £300
Car insurance Monthly = £40.00
Gas/Leccie Monthly = £84.00
water/sewerage Monthly = £35.00
Phone Home Monthly = £40.00
Mobiles Monthly = £60.00
Diesel Monthly = £40.00
Car Tax 6 Monthly = £120.00
TV Licence Quarterly = £39.00
House insurance = £15.00
pet insurance = £21.00
Broadband Monthly = £15.00 (tiscali)
Clothing/shoes Monthly = £20.00

Outings Monthly = £20.00 (somtimes nothing as we usually spend free time in the forest)

Housing Ben Repayments Monthly = £40.00
Rent arrears Repayments Monthly = £15.00
Child Tax Repayments Monthly = £40.00

Debts ...
Housing Ben overpayment £515.38
Rent arrears £1,000
Child Tax overpayment £450 (roughly)
Social Fund Loan £400 (currently not paying) not sure if left to long and dont know what to do
South West Water £400 (currently not paying) as above

My partners wage = 1,060
Child tax Monthly = £420.00
Child Benefit Monthly = £169.00

We dont really go out if we do its probably about once a month which would be around £30.00 ish ...

Looking at this we pay out £1,348.00
we recieve altogether £1,649.00
which would leave us £291.00

But i just dont see how or where ?
Im at a total loss! ... I cant see where everything is going we dont go out much we dont have hobbies .. arrggg i just wish i could look in the bank and say ooooo look weve saved this much this month! .. but in all honesty we have nothung ! no savings nothing to fall back on! we need help!

I have thought about having all money go into one bank account?! ... wages go into OHs child benefit and tax credits go into my account! ... any thoughts? many thanks

xx Head no longer in sand! ... Piratess!

Thanks for the reply so far .. Diesel ... is £40.00 a month because its used for work etc Home phone doesnt include any broadband .......Our shopping each week is for 2 adults 3 children (one still in nappies) and a dog
Hoping to be a thinner me in 2010!

Comments

• misspoppy
    misspoppy Posts: 1,009 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    HI

Welcome back!

I would say that the money you can't account for goes on the items you've missed off - clothes, activities you do with the children. You and your partner need to do a spending diary where you write everything down that you spend for a month and you'll soon see where its going. Do you really only spend £40 on diesel? What about the car tax and mot?

You spend a lot on the home phone does it include broadband? and your mobile bill is very high.

Have a go at a spending diary and see what it shows.
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi there!

The first thing you need to do is start a spending diary - right now, in a little notebook. You write down every scrap of change that you spend, as well as the big stuff. Even a couple of days might give you some ideas about where that "missing" money is going, but two or three weeks would be a lot better.

Other thoughts: your shopping, gas & electric and phone/mobile bills are all really high - you could work through some of Martin's Money Makeover to help you find the cheapest ones. And cutting down a bit never hurt!

For the shopping, go over to the Moneysaving Old Style Board, on how to use what youve got more effectively - its big, and very varied, but that means that there's bound to be something thats relevant to you.

Good luck!
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • piratess
    piratess Posts: 1,081 Forumite
    Options
    Oops off to update ! lol .. Thanks for replying i knew id miss stuff off it ! ...

hehe update here we go !
  • MissKJ
    MissKJ Posts: 780 Forumite
    Options
    Fallen off the band wagoners always welcome:wave:
    unsecured Debts at [strike]August 2007 £79,984[/strike] September £79,579 [STRIKE]Snowballing date July 2013[/STRIKE].

May 2009, £76,772 unsecured debts

DMP started Dec 2008, End date at start 2133!
  • Rikki
    Rikki Posts: 21,625 Forumite
    Options
    I notice you pay £35 a month for water rates. Is this covering arrears?

Are you able to go onto a meter, just wondered as you are renting this may not be possible.
    £2 Coins Savings Club 2012 is £4 :).............................NCFC member No: 00005.........

......................................................................TCNC member No: 00008
    NPFM 21
  • piratess
    Options
    Aww thankyou Miss KJ Thats good to know ... although i have to say im scared stiff bout trying to sort it all out im a sort of "bury my head in the sand" kinda girl! but its all about to change! ...

first move is to buy a little note book tomorow or better still see if i can pinch one off my DD .....
    Is it easy to switch providers? i.e gas leccie broadband? .. cant change water i dont think
    my hearts pounding here ... daft isnt it
  • Wildchild_2
    Options
    Welcome back :j

The good news is the money can't just be disappearing so if you write down everything you spend then you should find out where it's going and can stop spending it and save it. Trust me a spending diary will really open your eyes all it takes is a few mags a week, some treats for the kids and sandwiches and drinks at work and you're there.

Also check your accounts for any old direct debits from memberships or subscriptions. A lot of companies conveniantly forget to cancel payments or expect you to do it.

Let us know how it goes
    [STRIKE]CC 1: £102[/STRIKE] / C[STRIKE]C 2: £349[/STRIKE] / [STRIKE]CC 3: £1000[/STRIKE]
    CC 4: £1000 / CC 5: [STRIKE]£150 [/STRIKE] / CC 6: [STRIKE]£500[/STRIKE]
    CC 7: [STRIKE]£500 [/STRIKE]/ [STRIKE]CC 8: £1183[/STRIKE]/ [STRIKE]CC 9: £1639[/STRIKE]

Total debt: [STRIKE]£6,423[/STRIKE] :mad: £[STRIKE]6,128[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]£5,978 [/STRIKE][STRIKE]£4,099[/STRIKE][STRIKE]£3,639[/STRIKE]
  • piratess
    Options
    Hi Riki .. we are in a council house ... our water is seperate to sewarage so pay them seperatly and now were on a water meter ! Much to my disagreement! aparently water company does this know to all houses which become empty or new builds so i think thats what its £35.00 a month

I have to query the gas and leccie as this may well come down as we were paying off arrears within this amount
  • Rikki
    Rikki Posts: 21,625 Forumite
    Options
    piratess wrote: »
    Hi Riki .. we are in a council house ... our water is seperate to sewarage so pay them seperatly and now were on a water meter ! Much to my disagreement! aparently water company does this know to all houses which become empty or new builds so i think thats what its £35.00 a month

I have to query the gas and leccie as this may well come down as we were paying off arrears within this amount

£35 a month seems high.
    (I pay my metered water bill twice a year and its only £160PA for three of us.) I understand different water companies may have different rates.
    It may be worth you taking monthly readings to give yourself and idea of how much you use. I do this with my gas and electric as well.,
    £2 Coins Savings Club 2012 is £4 :).............................NCFC member No: 00005.........

......................................................................TCNC member No: 00008
    NPFM 21
  • MissKJ
    MissKJ Posts: 780 Forumite
    Options
    piratess wrote: »
    Aww thankyou Miss KJ Thats good to know ... although i have to say im scared stiff bout trying to sort it all out im a sort of "bury my head in the sand" kinda girl! but its all about to change! ...

first move is to buy a little note book tomorow or better still see if i can pinch one off my DD .....
    Is it easy to switch providers? i.e gas leccie broadband? .. cant change water i dont think
    my hearts pounding here ... daft isnt it

shake that sand outta your ears!

Then get a nice cuppa, and make a good start with a bit of scrap of paper and a to do list for tomorrow! you will be fine. there is a lot of support here, just don't leave again till you have cracked it for good:D
    unsecured Debts at [strike]August 2007 £79,984[/strike] September £79,579 [STRIKE]Snowballing date July 2013[/STRIKE].

May 2009, £76,772 unsecured debts

DMP started Dec 2008, End date at start 2133!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure