We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
self managed DMP, Defaults and Opos Limited chasing
I have finally gotten some defaults now but I have a few questions:
Q1) Opos Limited: I have started my first payment to Opos Limited collecting for JAJA CC due to them saying in an email that they have not been able to contact me and therefore have no option but to return the case to their client and advising legal action may be their only option.
However, since making the first payment and setting up a standing order (without making contact with Opos) it seems like they have rammed up the emails with saying this. contact required immediately. I can see they received my payment as the emails show the balance. Do I really have to contact them for me to stop them sending it back to JAJA?
Q2) There has been a few that has been sent to debt collectors but have not defaulted. I assume I will carry on waiting until they do default me before setting up a standing order?
Q3) Can i just set up a standing order without making contact with them? since their letters and emails always include payment accounts and what references to use.
Comments
-
Yes. Set up standing orders as and when you are ready, having been defaulted. Feel free to block emails from debt collectors. And the less you talk to any of them, the better.
1 -
1, Had the account defaulted? Legal action can't be taken until it has, but they often throw threats of legal action around to try and deceive people who don't understand the process into paying.
2, Yes wait until they default before you start paying, don't engage with them at all until they have as that will just slow down the default process.
3, You can just pay without saying anything , but it's better to tell them what you are paying so they put a payment plan on their system and turn the automatic threat generator off. They will often ask for income and expenditure details, you don't have to provide those but if they make too much fuss about it thencan be easier to send them something to shut them up. They don't have to be accurate figures, just make up something that looks plausible and arrives at the figure you want to pay. They won't care whether it's accurate or not, they'll just want some evidence they can use for ticking the "we checked it was affordable" box.
2 -
thank you, I plan not to talk to anyone at all!
I will just set up my standing orders with the payment details they send and reference and forget about it0 -
do you think I should contact Opos then? To stop them sending these threatening emails every week or so.
although I’m not fussed if it doesn’t lead anyway, since I know they have received my payments as the balance goes down each email they send meIdeal I would like not to make contact with them
0 -
Has that account defaulted?
0 -
Emails should not be taken seriously, they are used simply because they are a cheap way to contact you.
Anything of importance comes in the post, so you only need take notice of letters.
Opos were only acting on behalf of JaJa, what`s known as an equitable assignment, so authorised to collect the outstanding balance only, so their opinion means nothing, they will likely rinse and repeat this with another collector shortly.
You have to keep in mind that all communications from these companies are designed with just one thing in mind, and that`s to get you to call them, they use phrases like "despite previous attempts to contact you, your account remains without an active payment plan" or "If you do not contact us within 14 days, further action may be taken to recover the balance".
They want you to ring so they can then "persuade" you to set up a payment arrangement, you`re a captive audience whilst your on the phone you see, so never ring them.
I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter1 -
You may want to set up a separate email only for debt collectors, and edit your details on line.
Or if you only use the current one for financial stuff, purchase confirmation, set up a new one purely for accounts you use regularly and let the old one take the strain.
If you've have not made a mistake, you've made nothing1
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards
