We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Gap in NI after being stay at home dad

Hi all,

I spent some years as a stay at home dad (between 2009 and 2020) so I will have a gap in my NI contributions - I have heard recently that I should be able to get the NI contributions credited back? Does anyone know if this is correct and if so, how do I go about getting this done?

Thanks in anticipation,

JC

Comments

  • QrizB
    QrizB Posts: 24,906 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited Today at 12:46PM

    Welcome to the forum and please excuse the questions.

    How old was your youngest child during that period?

    Were you claiming Child Benefit during those years? If so, was it in your name or your wife/partner's?

    N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Intelligent Go elec / Fuse gas / Vodafone BB / iD mobile. Kirk Hill Co-op member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 37 MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs, Best kettle!
  • HughGRection
    HughGRection Posts: 3 Newbie
    First Post

    Hi,

    My oldest son was born in March 2008 and my youngest son was born November 2009 so I looked after the youngest from 0 until he was 11/12 (when he started secondary school).

    Was claiming child benefit (family allowance?) which was in my name (my wife, at the time was US citizen, she has since become a British citizen (2022ish? - sorry my dates are approximates).

    Thanks,

    JC

  • QrizB
    QrizB Posts: 24,906 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper

    If you were claiming Child Benefit in your own name, you should have received NI credits for the period.

    Have you checked your State Pension forecast?

    https://www.gov.uk/check-state-pension

    You can click through from that page to view your NI record.

    N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Intelligent Go elec / Fuse gas / Vodafone BB / iD mobile. Kirk Hill Co-op member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 37 MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs, Best kettle!
  • HughGRection
    HughGRection Posts: 3 Newbie
    First Post

    ok thanks for the link - I have checked my NI record and I have fewer gaps than I thought (some gaps back in the 1990's when I was at uni - but everything looks good, thanks again for your help.

    JC

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.