We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
Topping up/Claiming SP Timing
I topped up my NIs in 2022 but was left about £3.50 pw short of the full SP. I can make that up by paying another year at £907.
Gross that would pay me back after 4.7 years (244.6 weeks). Not bad but if I allow for tax the pay back period extends a fair bit so I have been dithering.
Today I got a letter about claiming the SP telling me to go online or phone to set it up.
So my question is have I dithered too long? If I top up today will that mess up claiming the SP because the records won't update for some weeks and I should presumably only start a claim after the records have updated themselves.
Comments
-
if you top up today using the online system, it’s usually very quick to update your NI Record.
1 -
Thanks @jem16 So I topped up today. A message said it could take up to 5 days for the payment to show in my online tax account. I am not sure if that means for the NI record to be updated or something else.
Anyway I spoke to the SP claims bit at DWP and they said they would get notified of any top up - though it could take up to 6 weeks for that message to get through. When they know of the top up they can recalculate the SP.
If you want to claim online you have to wait until 3 months before SPA anyway so I can wait till the end of the month to see what if anything has updated on my record.
0 -
When you claim on line, provided you have a straight forward contribution history, the award letter is generally issued same day.
Never associate with idiots on their own level, because, being an intelligent man, you'll try to deal with them on their level - and on their level they'll beat you every time.
Being hated by idiots is the price you pay for not being one of them.
Jean Cocteau 1889-1963
1 -
Thanks. The lady I spoke to did seem to say that I could leave making the claim until a few days before SPA. I am not sure I want to leave it quite that late.
My concern was that if I had topped up and the top up wasn't showing up when I made the claim then the claim process might get messed up somehow. Anyway the top up is done and now I just sit back and wait to see how long before it shows up. Part of the worry is that when I topped up in 2022 it took about 3 months before anything showed but then I did use a cheque and post to do it.
0 -
You can claim online as soon as you receive the invitation letter with the code. Personally I’d say to claim as soon as you get it. The top up will catch up.
0 -
Is that right? The automated message when I called the claim line said you can only claim online 3 months in advance of SPA and when I queried that the lady I spoke to said that was right but I could claim before that over the phone.
I haven't tried going to the online claim page yet - I still think I will give it till the end of the month (hopefully I don't forget).
0 -
The automated message will say that as invitation letters are sent out 3 to 4 months prior to reaching State Pension Age. However once the invitation letter with the code is received, then you can use it right away. You seemed to be saying that you’d received that letter?
I’d check your NI Record after 5 to 7 days and if the year you’ve paid for shows as Full, then go ahead and claim.0 -
Thanks. Yes I have had the letter with the code. But then the lady I spoke to knew I had had the letter and still confirmed the 3 months message. Anyway as you say I shall check the NI record next week and take it from there.
0 -
Last time I listened to the recorded message it just said if you’re within 3 months of SPA then you can claim online rather than you can only claim if within 3 months of SPA.
0
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards

