We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
Over the annual allowance / problems registering for self assessment
Can anyone help me please? I've today (2nd October) been told by my employer's pension scheme that I have exceeded the annual allowance for 2025/26. I have no carry-forward available, so I will need to pay the tax charge. I understand I need to declare this via tax self-assessment (even though I intend to use the "scheme pays" option). So I now need to register for self-assessment as I've never used this before (and by Monday 5th i.e. in 2-3 days time - thanks for the short notice pension scheme! … I've only been chasing them for my pension input amount for 3 months!). Early in the self-assessment registration process I'm asked "Why do you need to send a tax return?" (with options such as e.g. "I get income from land & property"). The trouble is, none of the 9 options apply to me. But the registration process can't be moved on until I have selected at least one of the options. I've tried selecting a random one just to move the registration process on but I then get asked (e.g.) "when did you start getting income from land & property". The virtual assistant is no use (it keeps crashing). Has anyone been through this before who can advise? (there is a phone number that opens Monday, but since this is the deadline & I'm at work all day I'd rather not wait).
Comments
-
-
That option does not come up for me - I put in my name & details, select "I don't work for myself", and then I get 9 options like this … how did you reach that option?
0 -
If you are ( or would have been ) a 40% tax payer, tick the high income box?
0 -
Not sure where you're starting from, but try kicking off using this link unless that's what is already driving you round the bend:
If you still end up going round in a loop, maybe the printed version would give you a more relaxed weekend:
You can get Royal Mail to collect from your home tomorrow (30p for collection + online postage costs - using Signed For delivery would make sense) if you book the collection before midnight:
Googling on your question might have been both quicker and easier, if you're only after simple facts rather than opinions!0 -
-
Thank you (and to the other posters who have replied). That is unfortunately the link that is driving me round the bend and ultimately into a brick wall. I think printed printed version is the way to go, with signed for delivery arriving at HMRC on Monday. Lets hope that them receiving this on Monday 5th counts as being "on time".
0 -
Don't worry too much if it doesn't. There's no automatic fine - and if HMRC do try to fine you (unlikely if the form arrives just a day or two late), appeal immediately and give details of when you first asked for the required information from your pension scheme and point out the difficulties you had trying to register for self assessment online.
Googling on your question might have been both quicker and easier, if you're only after simple facts rather than opinions!0 -
You should call HMRC, don't take risks, they're not forgiving. They'll help you submit the form while you're on a call with them.
I'm FTB, not an expert, all my comments are from personal experience and not a professional advice.Mortgage debt start date 11/2024 = 175k (5.19%)... Q1/2026 = PAID (3.94%)0 -
It is form SA101.
0
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards


